We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

We will be arriving in Krakow on Nov. 26 evening. We are staying for three days then taking the overnight train to Prague on Nov. 29. Our itinerary is as follows:

Nov. 26 Arrive in Krakow at 8:30pm, check into apartment

Nov. 27 Buy tickets to Auschwitz for either this day (preferable) or the next. If for the next day, we will explore Krakow. We will also be buying tickets for the overnight train to Prague on this day.

Nov. 28 Buy tickets to the Salt Mines for this day (preferable, if went to Auschwitz the day before) or the next.

Nov. 29 Either explore Krakow or visit Salt Mines. Leave for Prague.

My questions:

1. Where EXACTLY do we purchase tickets for Auschwitz, Salt Mines and overnight tickets for Prague?

2. Can anyone recommend GOOD, AUTHENTIC Polish restaurants - not touristy?

Dziękuję!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

There are companies you could book Auschwitz tours online or your Hotel could do all that for you and would also book the tickets to Prague for you or at least help you to do so. You could do It direct at the station when you get there

I can recommend a good restaurant for you in kazimierz http://www.starka-restauracja.pl/ amazing food and great home made Vodkas with a good service and price

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

Thank you for your recommendations. Unfortunately, we rented an apartment through airbnb so we are not staying at a hotel with a concierge. Not sure if any hotel would do it for non-guests.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

Are you talking about buying just tickets or tours? Tickets are sold ONLY at the museum in Oswiecim and only those for a small number of tours are available in advance on line for Wielizka - otherwise, its turn up abd queue. I have to add, though that public trasport to both is good and will save you money.

Wielizka ticket office is here https://www.ebilety.kopalnia.pl/index.php…

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

I agree with Mateusz19 Starka is my favourite place to eat in Krakow http://www.starka-restauracja.pl/eng/ the Pork Knuckle dish is to die for, tastes better than it sounds and i can vouch for their homemade vodkas,,, :) :) :)

Kevin (Glasgow)

Edited: 17 November 2013, 21:05
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

There are lots of agencies around the old town where you can buy tickets for tours to Auschwitz and the salt mines. You will often get a small discount if you buy tickets for both Auschiwtz and the salt mines from the same tour vendor

seekrakow.com

cracowcitytours.com

or smaller companies such as krakowtours.co.uk

are all reputable

The smaller companies you may need to book in advance.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 21:09
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

Yes as Scottishpoet said there are also lot's of places around you can book in the city. The train ticket you could go to the station and buy it there before hand. I have used Krakowtours.co.uk before and were really good. But there are many companies. There is also crazytours are another good company to use.

Your have an amazing time in Krakow. It's a wonderful place

Need any more help please ask

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

Thank you so much everyone!! I am so excited for this trip, and even more so reading up on your replies!!

Auschwitz is a definite MUST SEE and the Salt Mines is a plus. We are open to non-tours and are willing to explore by ourselves. What do you think?

My husband and our friend are huge foodies and will appreciate the pork knuckles (I can see him salivating now!). Does anyone know of a restaurant that translates to "Grandmother's Raspberries" in English? I was told of this restaurant in Krakow, but not sure what it is called in Polish.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

You can buy tickets to Prague only at train station, international tickets office/counter. Train station in Krakow is close to the Old Town, maybe 15-20 minutes walking.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

>>> Does anyone know of a restaurant that translates to "Grandmother's Raspberries" in English? I was told of this restaurant in Krakow, but not sure what it is called in Polish.<<<

"Kuchnia u Babci Maliny", I guess :) It's more like "Granny Malina's Kitchen" in English. Szpitalna and Sławkowska Streets.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 21:22
Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets to Auschwitz and to Prague

Kuchnia u Babci Maliny Unfortunately the webpage is only in polish but here is the website and contact details http://www.kuchniaubabcimaliny.pl/ and contact details www.kuchniaubabcimaliny.pl/kontakt.html from the details there seems to be 4 different places to dine

Kevin (Glasgow)