We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague to Krakow - Day travel

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Prague to Krakow - Day travel

Hello !

My friend & I are planning to travel from Prague to Krakow around 29 Dec, but we can only find the night train option. We aren't too keen on traveling through the night, is there any option where in we can travel during the day instead ? Please help !

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

I have a link for you which may help. There was one leaving Prague at 06.39

thetrainline-europe.com/plan/…05-00

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

Take the EC 111 Praha from Prague (Praha hl.n., departure 11:29) to Katowice (arrival 16:30). There change to the train IR 63124 GALICJA 2. (departure 17:02, arrival to Krakow 19:11). Total travel time is 7h 42min.

Mateusz, your route is train to Berlin then BUS to Krakow, 13h 20min

There is a thrid option whcih involves one train to a border town then walking into Poland, etc, but I'll leave that for now!

Wishworld - those overnight trains have couchettes and cabins so you can use one and save a hotel night

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

Oh ok John thank you. Was wondering why it was so long. Thanks

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

The only direct train is at night, day connections require at least one change - the most popular connection is through Katowice. Mind that train schedules in this part of the world will change in early December so I wouldn't count so much on what you find right now in the net.

The two and only official websites for Polish trains are: http://rozklad-pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en? and http://intercity.pl/en/

If you want to buy your tickets in advance then contact Jeffrey Dobek from Polrail - it's a private company (re-seller) but probably the only one that deserves recommendations (lots of positive reviews on TA).

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,398 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

From Prague to Krakow it currently costs from €40 in a sleeper from www.cd.cz/eshop or less in a couchette. It is perfectly safe and is the only direct option.

By day it costs about €42, buy the ticket on the day in Prague, and you change to the rail replacement bus in Katowice - this is covered by the price of the ticket.

See www.idos.cz (English bottom right) for times.

There is also a bus http://www.polskibus.com/ but it is all in Polish.

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

From the new timetable on 15 December, the direct EC110/111 Warsaw/Katowice/Praha train will disappear. Day travel between points in Poland and Prague will require a change at Ostrava if you're traveling to/from Warsaw, and additionally at Katowice if you're traveling to/from Krakow.

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Bydgoszcz, Poland

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,398 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

That makes things more awkward, but at least part of the journey will be on the pendolino (Prague - Ostrava). There are no details about what the walk-up price will be yet.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

The line from Katowice to Krakow is one of the slowest lines in Europe, around 80KM, non stop, in 2 hours

Then add in time for changing trains...

You may want to look at using a bus for the section from Katowice to Krakow. The bus takes roughly 1 hour 20 minutes and there is, I think, a "Uni Bus" every 30 minutes.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

Thank you all so so much for the advice :) couldn't have asked for more comprehensive answers !

I guess the night train seems to be much more comfortable... was just skeptical about having to hang around the Prague station till late night and then having to wait for noon to be checked in at Krakow... Leaves a lot of time gaps at both ends and dreary winters dont make it easier. But I guess will just have to find a way somehow ! Night Train it is !

The cd.cz shop has some excellent prices for 2nd sleeper, hopefully I can book them despite not being a czech resident ? The prices there are so much cheaper than czech-transport.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,398 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prague to Krakow - Day travel

Anybody can book them! Czech transport.com is a reseller and also charge a 'delivery fee'.

You don't need to hang around at the station in Prague, there is plenty to do and see in the evening, in fact the city comes alive at night and you get some of the best views. The station is only a couple of metro stops from the old town.