We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NIght Train from Budapest or Vienna to Krakow

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BOSTON
3 posts
Save Topic
NIght Train from Budapest or Vienna to Krakow

Hello Friends!

I have viewed a few older postings on this topic, but seem to be getting some conflicting advice.

Is there a regular direct night train available from either Budapest or Vienna to Krakow? If so, can I easily book it at the station close to the date of travel and approximately how much does it cost?

Thank you VERY MUCH for any help you can provide!!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NIght Train from Budapest or Vienna to Krakow

There is a daily night train from Vienna South station, at 10.30 Pm,. 7 hours to Krakow, so you arrive very eary morning. Not from Budapest, that requires going to Vienna first..

see www.oebb.at (also in English).

No prices mentioned but I expect that you should be able to buy them in Vienna before departure and that it won't cost so very much

Call Wien Südbahnhof if you want to know : + 43 51717 (24 hours).

BOSTON
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NIght Train from Budapest or Vienna to Krakow

Thanks Dutch Guy. That helps a lot!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NIght Train from Budapest or Vienna to Krakow

There appears to be a night train from Budapest to Krakow. Leaves Keleti at around 7 PM, and arrives in Krakow at 5:45 AM.

I've found it listed in 2 places:

http://www.elvira.hu/ (The Hungarian RR site.)

plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/query.exe/en…

Can't guarantee that it exists, but some people seem to think it does.

Mesa, Arizona USA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NIght Train from Budapest or Vienna to Krakow

I took an overnight train from Budapest to Krakow last September. It arrived about 5:30 AM. Sleeper passengers were isolated from other passengers on last car and the trip was very pleasant and bunks comfortable.

BOSTON
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NIght Train from Budapest or Vienna to Krakow

Thanks Mike.

Do you remember about how much that ticket cost?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NIght Train from Budapest or Vienna to Krakow

ArizonaMike,

I and a friend are thinking of taking this sleeper in mid-November, which is why I've been looking up schedules.

I have a few questions you may be able to answer.

1) How far in advance did you make reservations, and how? Was there any problem about 'already full?'

2) What kind of accommodation did you book? My friend and I will both have 1st Class railpasses. Are 1st class compartments for 1 or 2 available, or is it only couchettes?

3) How safe did you feel it was for older people? I am getting varying reports on safety on sleeper trains, etc.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

7. Re: NIght Train from Budapest or Vienna to Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 19:17