We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian options?

South Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian options?

As a veggie - am I going to have a tough time in Krakow? We've just booked; no planning - just a place I've always fancied going - and I will get a guide book over the next few days - but meantime wondered if there are restaurants and cafes where I can eat 'safely'! Otherwise it will be a lot of coffee and handfuls of fruit and nuts for 3 days! I'm not a vegan but I am careful with stock etc. Can't see a previous forum covering this ...perhaps I'm the first ever veggie to visit?!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian options?

You shouldn't have to much of a problem. There are a few option like Pierogi. Two of the types are vegetarian. Also plenty of soups you could eat. Some come in a bread bowl. There will be some nice options for you.

There is one called Greenway and Café Mlynek also Bar Vega

There's a few option for you to take a look

Hope this helps

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian options?

No, you'll survive. You might be surprised to hear that we even have local vegetarians...

Every restaurant will have vegetarian options, but try Yellow Dog (fantastic, imaginative Asian food), Pod Noremami and Dynia (all on ul. Krupnicza), Nova and Moment in Kazimierz or one of the many Italian restaurants around town. Be a bit more careful with Polish food as there is a tendency to garnish with lardons, so if you want to try pierogi (ruskie - with cheese and potato filling, or the cabbage and mushroom version) ask for them 'z wody' (literally "from water", or with no meaty garnish). And just so you know, doughnuts are usually fried in lard.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian options?

Tomorrow the whole country - well, most of it - celebrates with a hge meat-free meal. Read up on Polish Christmas Dinner for ideas of the sort of things you're going to see available whenever you come! And don;t forget, there's always pizza and variations on that and most other foods you'll find at home.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian options?

you'll be spoilt for choice....try potato pancakes for example..mushrooms......crepes called nalesniki.....there are plenty of delicate cold vegetable salads called surowki.....polakowski on plac dominkanski has a nice salad bar stocked with these....most if not all restaurants and supermarkets have em.....poles love their meats but also love their vegetables....

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian options?

John, but they eat plenty of fish meat on Christmas eve, hardly a vegetarian choice :)

Traditional Polish food is heavy in meat and lard, but you'll be OK. Vegetarian options are much more common now than they used to be and you won't get any weird looks at restaurants anymore if you ask whether a soup was cooked on vegetable stock or meat. There should always be some vegetarian dishes but the number of choices will differ between restaurants. There are also many international food options and a couple vegetarian restaurants. It may be a good idea to do some research beforehand to have wider choices available because I guess it's always nicer to have a good selection of dishes available rather than having to stick to those few vegetarian options available.

Craigavon, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian options?

Hi try the following link, it should get you started...

inyourpocket.com/poland/…vegetarian

G&L

South Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian options?

Thank you everybody - its all sounding very positive! I shall report back to help others in due course ....

South Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarian options?

Well, despite the guide book suggesting I may lose weight - I had a great time and didn't starve! Vega has closed down to be replaced by a sushi bar. But the restaurant in the basement of the Wielopole which I'd read about on one of the forums, and co-incidentally was where we stayed for 3 nights, was absolutely wonderful. Very imaginative and tasty food at a very good price. They apologised for the lack of choice as they try to use seasonal vegetables. We ate there twice in the end. Actually we had to go back because they'd sold out of liquid chocolate cake! Highly recommended, charming staff too. The first night we'd wandered over to the Jewish Quarter and ate in a bar there - I had cabbage and mushroom pierogi with a coleslaw type salad. And one or two beers ....

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarian options?

Glad to hear you did not have to keep a fast ;)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegetarian options?

Glad you had a great time :-)