We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of January

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
End of January

Me and my friend will be arriving in Poland on the night of January 23, through an organised trip by co-op travel.

We're only allowed to take hand luggage for 3 days (and for us that is NOT enought) what would you recommend to be key items to pack for the end of January? Will it be slippy underfoot?

Obviously due to no check in luggage we will only be able to get alcohol to take back for friends at duty free, will I still be able to get a reasonably priced bottle of flavoured vodka from their duty free?

Finally, are there any areas/bars you would recommended two 21 year old females to stay away from?

Any other advice for us is welcome! We haven't travelled without partners/family before so I'm sorry if I sound like a worrier!

Thanks.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of January

Hello Tashpot

I would suggest wearing more layers and the thick warm clothing as to not take up to much room in your case. Or you could pay for one suitcase to be checked in when your at the airport. At the moment the weather is quite mild, but that could change. If you plan on doing some sight seeing I would suggest Thermals. Most of the paths and things will be cleared but you will still have some slippery areas so maybe take some foot wear that is warm and has grip.

I would recommend one of the free walking tours as you get a lot of info with them and is great to see the city and get some good snap shots with a camera

There will be some duty free available at the airport but it will be limited as it's a small airport.

kazimierz (Jewish district) Is a good area to go for bars and there's a nice restaurant there call Starka that do lovely food and homemade flavoured Vodka's you mention. This is one of many lovely restaurants in Krakow that you will find in and around the city. Some are hidden away so look carefully. Ask the Hotel when your there as they'll give you some good tips.

If you wanted to relax for a little there is a place called Park Wodney if that's your type of thing. I'll put a link up for you

http://www.parkwodny.pl/en

Make sure you try Pierogi whilst your there. Amazing :-)

If you're changing money up there avoid the orange Kantor's any other should be fine

I hope this is of some help. Enjoy your trip

If there is anything else you need to know please ask

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of January

Really helpful! Thank you :) we have lots of thermals and wooly socks so hopefully we should be okay.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply!

King's Lynn, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of January

If my girlfriend can manage 3 days with only hand luggage in the cold, you can! (she is awful with clothes, hair dryers, make up etc)..same age as you.

Check the weather the day before you go, we're going back to Krakow in a week or so, if it's going to be + 10 degrees, then pack accordingly. If it's cold, bring your warm weather clothing and wear them at the airport (Had to do that many times to circumvent hand luggage allowances)

Krakow actually grits their paths unlike Prague (think it's cheaper for them to pay for injuries than pay for gritting) so hopefully slipping will not be an issue. If it's cold though take a good pay of boots to keep your feet warm and most importantly, dry. Prague was VERY slushy that time of year and our feet got soaked.

As for bars, a million and one in kazimierz (trendy, laid back, club music, whatever you like) and many more around the main square). Wodka bar was my favorite place in the end, just off the main square

And yes, I bought back quite a lot of vodka from the airport (no checked in bag), and it's still stupidly cheap

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of January

No problem at all :-)

Try Zubruwka and apple juice. It's a grass vodka, really nice.

One more thing I always recommend to any one going to Krakow is try Wedel chocolate lounge. If you like hot chocolate or chocolate in general it's a must. I gaurantee you won't have tried anything quite like it. There are 2 there. One in Galeria Krakowska which is the big shopping sentre and one in Rynek Glowny (market square)

Enjoy :-)

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: End of January

Hi Allways ask how much you will get for your money at the kantor,I allways use the one in the shopping centre by the train station plus its warm inside on a cold day?Its on the top floor by the supermarket.The walking tours leave from the large church in the main square and i found them really good .Pick up a map from tourist info or your hotel to get orientated.Warm boots a hat and scarf plus gloves must be worn its the LAW ha ha ha Cheers and HNY Chris.

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of January

If you are flying with Ryanair, then be careful what you buy at the airport as it all has to go into your handl luggage and still be within the permitted size.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: End of January

Ryanair now allow a duty free bag as well as your hand luggage

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: End of January

hi ryanair now allow two/2 bags in the cabin a small one 35x20x20cm so you can take on a duty free bag as your second bag .Cheers Chris

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: End of January

Thanks both

Great news as my hold luggage is always up to the maximum allowance.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: End of January

me and me mate are there 20th, you will need some good warm gear, the weather prediction is -10 to 12 and chances of snow.

were are you staying?

Get answers to your questions about Krakow