We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich-Prague-Krakow-Berlin

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Munich-Prague-Krakow-Berlin

My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip this summer to those cities. We are middle age but still like to live out of a single carry on, stay at reasonably priced cozy hotels, local casual dining- nothing fancy, go on bike and e-bike tours, and are interested in general places to see in those cities and surrounding areas (including Bavarian castles, salt mine near Krakow) but with an emphasis on Jewish sites (Dachau, Auschwitz, synagogues and Jewish districts). My plan was to arrive in Munich, spend three days including day trips to Dachau and Castles/mountains and evenings at beer gartens, morning train to Prague and 2 1/2 days there, overnight train to Krakow then 2-3 full days (day trips to Auschwitz and salt mines, tours of Jewish district) there before overnight train to Berlin and the remaining 3 days there (museums, WW2 sites, Checkpoint Charlie, etc). Afternoon flight to Dusseldorf then out day 15 from there (have to do this due to frequent flier miles on AA). How does this timing and order sound?

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich-Prague-Krakow-Berlin

sounds a bit frantic....i think you'll need a vacation after your vacation

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich-Prague-Krakow-Berlin

joekg... if you focus on Jewish sites only your plan sounds doable.... BUT most likely you will only have the time to see the places you mentioned. Just to give you an example:

- You will not make the Auschwitz trip in 1/2 day. It's an almost full day trip - which means that when you are back from the trip, most likely you'll only have the time to have a nice walk around Kraków. Unless of course you get up at 6am, get the taxi / car (1h ride from Kraków!) and start your Auschwitz tour at 8 am :)

- Plan your Wieliczka (the salt mine) trip a bit in advance, there are guided tours only, with fixed hours. Again, at least 1/2 day trip.

- This gives you some 1 1/2 day for the rest in Kraków, INCLUDING all Jewish remains.

Most likely the same will happen in Prague.

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich-Prague-Krakow-Berlin

I have been to Prague Berlin and Bavaria. When you are in Berlin there is a concentration camp called sauchenhausen which is tram ride outside Berlin to orianberg. Sorry spellings are wrong which is worth a visit. There is a lot to see. I had been to Berlin a lot when Germany was still divided and after the wall had come down although the last time I was there was 15 years ago. When you are in Munich go to the neuschwanstein castle. That is really impressive and looks beautiful too. When I was in Prague it was just changing from away from communist and was a beautiful city with so much to do and we felt like we had the place to our self. My sister went last year and in her video it was packed with crowds of people everywhere. Saying that it is well worth a visit and she loved it too. You say you are flying out from Düsseldorf. I used to live there and if you get any time to explore go to the altstadt. Get off at Heinrich Heine allee. It is the heart of the altstadt and begin to explore from there. Go up in the rheinturn if it is a nice day. The views are great and you can see for miles. Is your trip itinery is fine and definitely doable if you are flying between cities in Germany. Can't say about Krakow. I haven't been there yet. I am going in may :-). For your info I went on the train from Dusseldorf to Berlin and it took us 6 hours.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 10:55
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich-Prague-Krakow-Berlin

Krakow has lot's to see and do.

What your saying is possible if you do Auschwitz and the Salt Mines in one day, but this would be a very long day and you may not appreciate them as much as your doing it all in one go.

So maybe stick another day or 2 in Krakow I use it as an excuse to come back

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich-Prague-Krakow-Berlin

I've wandered over from Berlin forum to see what people here think and see that the view is the same as mine, that it's very (too) full. On Munich and Czech Republic forums people think it sounds OK.

to my mind it certainly doesn't give time to get a feel for the individual cities.

Tracy, I have been to Prague 3 times, in 1991, 2000 and 2010 and it is very busy around the main sights like the Charles Bridge, the castle and the main square but even now you can get away from the crowds going a bit off the beaten-path. And it is still magical.....but I feel one city too many for this trip (better to add the time to Krakow and berlin). Getting from Munich to Prague is time-consuming too

Edited: 13 January 2014, 12:03
Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich-Prague-Krakow-Berlin

Normally I would agree; I am trying to get a taste of the top sights. The thing that tipped it over to 4 cities rather than 3 is that we are taking overnight trains twice and get almost 2 days back that way so realistically transportation during the trip is really one half day during the day time. We did it this way in London/Paris/Rome over 12 days and loved it; felt like we saw the essentials and knew what we wanted to see if we return. Most likely we will not be able to return to central/eastern Europe again as we only take foreign trips every 7-10 years.

7. Re: Munich-Prague-Krakow-Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:19