We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
985 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

I would like to have a private guide for a tour of Auschwitz but I am confused about who is allowed to be a private guide and how the whole system works.

I have read information about private guides in Krakow who include visits to Auschwitz.

But then I've read the information on the Auschwitz website that seems to say that only their private guides can give tours.

I had been planning to hire a private guide for touring Krakow and I thought that I would just use this same guide for Auschwitz.

So I'm confused because the Auschwitz website says one thing and some tour guides are telling me something else.

Am I correct in thinking that I can only arrange a private guide through Auschwitz??

Thank you.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

Presuming it's between April and October if you arrive before 10:00 you can be guided by whoever you want or wait for the official tours to start.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
797 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

I also would like a private guide for Auschwitz - can I book from the UK or do I have to wait until I get to Krakow? Some useful email addresses would be a help.

Thanks

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
985 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

Thank you, Johnb121, for the clarification.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

Yes you can book from the U.K

If you click on the trending now button you'll see companies on there which offer tours. Quite a few

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

It's also possible to book a private guide provided by the museum, at something like 250zl for up to 10 people in your party - see the museum's website.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
985 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

Thank you for the suggestion, Mateusz19.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

No problem. There would also be information on tour companies in your Hotel when you arrive

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

At the Auschwitz museum you can be guided by an authorized museum guide, some of these guides are also licenced to guide around Krakow, so you are not being told 2 different things just some guides can do 2 different things.

John, you cannot be guided by anyone around the Auschwitz museum, you have to be authorized to guide, such restrictions do not apply at Birkenau.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

Phil - read my post again. OP - the museum will book you a private tour, with one of their guides, for 250zl per group of up to 10.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private guides for Auschwitz tour...I'm confused

John

' Presuming it's between April and October if you arrive before 10:00 you can be guided by whoever you want '

This is your reply to the OP, this is not true, If you want a guide for the museum, they have to be an authorized guide certainly not 'whoever you want'

Get answers to your questions about Krakow