We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Issues in Ukraine

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Issues in Ukraine

While I am not concerned about a visit to Krakow during the Ukraine unrest, I wonder if there is any activity that supports either side that is filtering into Poland? Any precautions we should take while visiting? Thanks.

Donna

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Issues in Ukraine

That is the external Schengen border - the most policed border in Europe. No unrest is filtering through it.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Issues in Ukraine

Nothing, The Ukrainians that are fighting want closer ties with the EU, which Poland already has

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Issues in Ukraine

There are some pro Ukrainian opposition protests in Poland. At least here in Warsaw there were several such happenings, but they are totally peaceful and nothing to worry about if you stumble upon one.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Issues in Ukraine

kiev is a long way from poland...

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Issues in Ukraine

Thank you to those from Poland who responded. It has prompted me to pay closer attention to what is going on in the Ukraine. As a neighboring country, Poland IS close to the Ukraine so being alert to what is going on does matter when you travel. Like some have cautioned, it shouldn't affect my trip anymore than a strike in Italy might be problematic.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Issues in Ukraine

Connie, the distance does not matter as what is currently going on in Ukraine is Ukraine's internal issue. No Poles are going to get up in arms about it because it is simply not our business. Yes, it is shocking to see people being shot in 21st century Europe, but no more shocking than people running amok shooting innocent school children in the 21st century US.

The protest in front of the Ukrainian Embassy in Warsaw involved some 300 people who are seriously deluded if they think they know what is really going on, who is right, who is wrong, and what is best for Ukraine.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Issues in Ukraine

Touche! and so true. I am not worried about traveling to Poland. Just want to be aware and educated. You are right about the shootings in the US as being just as big of a concern.

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Issues in Ukraine

There is probably have more chance your plane will crash than a riot taking place so I wouldn't worry about it.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
813 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Issues in Ukraine

You have nothing to worried about

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Issues in Ukraine

I called some friends in Minsk, Belarus and asked what effect they have seen and they said it was just a local political situation and it was "interesting".

Political conflicts in that region and have happened frequently. That area has had long history of being in the middle of politics because there are few geographic features that are barriers from N-S or E-W either way.

Dick

Get answers to your questions about Krakow