We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greetings from Krakow!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Greetings from Krakow!!!

Luckily it wasn't foggy today so wasn't diverted to Katowice

I can't believe the weather today, sunny and warm and so sat outside in Rynek Glowny with a beer or too.

Currently sat outside in RG having an Irish coffee Bliss

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

Hi sounds like you need some ice? Friday night is Ice Hockey night at 6.30pm.10zls gets you in to a cracking night out.Rink is by the old jewish cemetery in Kazimerz.Cheers Chris

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

So glad you did not end up on a bus from Modlin!

Enjoy your weekend (and this is cool compared with a couple of weeks ago!). It's such a complete contrast to this time last year, when we were minus 20 overnght and rarely above zero in the day.

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

Mark B,

I am now officially jealous, enjoy your holiday :)

Kevin (Glasgow)

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

Cheers all

Yesterday and today saw plenty of sunshine and a better day forecast for tomorrow

As a consequence.... some more gardens were swiftly erected outside restaurants this afternoon as they were missing out on a lot of trade

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

Well wasn't I fortunate with the weather? Back in England now

Apart from visiting the Gestapo HQ museum, I pretty much spent most of my time relaxing in Rynek Glowny in mostly sunshine (Well I have seen most things there many times and so made the most of the sunshine

I went to the Thai restaurant on Ul Wislna (Samui) having eaten there previously on occasions. What has happened??? The chicken satay was plain chicken, or seemed that way this visit. The fish soup that was gorgeous 6 weeks ago was awful, with the fish well over cooked so that it was like mush in your mouth and the dish was a strange dark green in colour. The red chicken curry was very sickly and the jasmine rice was very starchy. I won't be returning to that restaurant again

The food in Da Pietro was excellent as per usual, and went there again for the 2 for 1 offer on the mussels on a Friday (12:30 - 17:00). I ordered the white wine sauce for both and the waiter said I could order 1 of each sauce which I thought was fantastic and so the second bowl was with chopped tomatoe sauce. Better still, they allowed me to finish one bowl before cleaning the table and bringing out the 2nd bowl of mussels

The breakfasts on offer at the milk bar cafe on Ul Tomasza ;(near the junction with Ul Spitizilana (from main sq walk up Spitizilana and turn right into Ul Tomasza and its on the left hand sude) are excellent and I can recommend the scrambled egg with smoked salmon.

I also made a couple of now routine visits to the vodka cafe on Ul Bracka which is situated on Bracka at the junction with Ul Golebia. The vodkas are in large glass bowl shaped containers and boy do they taste good and at 5zl a shot are priced even better. The walnut vodka is still my favourite though but of course, I had to try other ones each day just to be sure :)

A few gardens were up in Rynek Glowny when I arrived on the Wednesday and by last night the whole north side had gardens outside the restaurants and a few others on the north west side. My face is slightly red as a result of sitting there fore so long.

Saturday saw the start of a remembrance to the soldiers who were killed in WWII and under communist rule. This mainly took place in Rynek Glowny with ex military OAPs heading the procession in former military uniform and on horseback.

It was quite foggy this morning and I was fearful the imbound flight would be diverted to Katowice as it was when I was there in January

2 planes today were diverted to Katowuce and the rest landed at Krk

All in all a very enjoyable time spent on my own (as my brother who was booked to go again with me developed a DVT from our trip there in January and is under medical treatment and told not to fly for 3 months). So I spent my birthday on my own :(, but it was Fat Thusday so that helped cheer me up :)

I can't wait to return

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

So, a belated sto lat to you, Mark.

It has stayed thick all day - we drove up to Krakow this morning and just got home - not sure if it's mist or very low clouds now as on the way home we were clear but there was thickness on the hilltops in places!

My partner's father grows hazlenuts commercially so he makes a fair volume of hazlenut widka each year - basically, he fills a jar with hazlenuts then tops the jar off with wodka. It's delicious, and when you've drunk the wodka you just replace it and leave it for a month to get another batch!

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

Thanks John

Apologies, it was very low cloud and it very soon after takeoff the ground disappeared and in a flash we were above the clouds and Im sure I saw hills / mountains above the clouds (no I wasn't drunk nor hungover :) )

It was cold when I climbed the stairs of the plane (even with t shirt, thermal top, thick leather coat and scarf.

I have been very fortunate with the weather on my recent visits, this one, January and November were all fantastic weather wise

Make sure you lay an extra plate on Dec 24th John as I'm knocking on your door. Not to join you at the table for Christmas dinner, but for the wodka :)

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

Will do Mark. You'll be welcome!

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
593 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

We weren't delayed by fog on either of our flights a couple of weeks ago, though a lot of flights were at that time. There was a bird strike on the inbound flight from Edinburgh and the pilot decided the plane wasn't safe to fly us back to Edinburgh.

We spent 8 hours in that wee departure lounge (with a £3 voucher from easyJet) waiting on a plane to come from Milan for us!

I think I would've prefered the diversion to Katowice. It was a long day, we got home 13 hours after leaving the apartment.

80 days til I'm back. It's just too long.

Sto Lat Mark :-)

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greetings from Krakow!!!

Glad you still had a nice time Mark even though you had to travel solo. I can't wait to visit Krakow again and trying to talk my sister into going for a few days in October......fingers crossed :)