We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Krakow to Berlin

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Krakow to Berlin

We're thinking of driving from Krakow to Berlin this summer. I've heard that the roads in Poland aren't great, but can you tell me if driving between these two cities (looks like mostly on major highways) would be decent?

We'd be renting a car, which is why I'm thinking of starting in Krakow and going to Berlin - I assume it would be easier to drive a rental car from Poland to Germany rather than vice versa.

Any thoughts on these plans? Thanks!

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Krakow to Berlin

Driving between Krakow and Berlin is easy, highways all the time.

Are you thinking of dropping off rented car in Germany? If yes, have you checked rates? It can be quite expensive to rent a car in one country and drop off in another.

Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Krakow to Berlin

Yes, I'm thinking of dropping off the car in Germany. Definitely, I'll check the rates - and it might be too expensive to do - but I wanted to get an idea first on how the driving would be between cities. Thanks for your input!

Pyrzowice, Poland
Level Contributor
700 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Krakow to Berlin

Keep in mind that there is a toll on A4 highway. Kraków-Katowice PLN 18,00 (2 x 9,00), Gliwice-Wrocław PLN 16,20.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 11:31
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Krakow to Berlin

Just bear in mind that the main A roads are up to the standards of the rest of Europe but the others are what I think of as one grade back - the other highways are potentially not as "wide" as they would be esewhere, so where you might have a three-lanes in each difrection elsewhere in Western Europe, here you'll maybe have two lanes in each direction, and roads between towns may not be as fast as you're used to.

Off the major A roads and on the dual carriageways watch for left turns and dropped speed limits. Rather than build lots of flyovers and complex junctions, here you'll often find the left lane becomes the left-turn lane, or it's full of left-turning traffic - so if you're in a hurry and using the left lane to whizz by traffic, be warned. Also, and lined, are the sudden drops of the speed limit to 70kph (from 120/90) at schools, crossings and junctions. And watch, in the countryside, for soft verges.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Krakow to Berlin

As long as you manage to get out of Kraków, driving to Berlin should be fine. Maybe the road isn't amazing but it's definitely good enough.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Krakow to Berlin

You must be careful with the national road 18 in Poland. This is the road between German border and A4. I have never used this road but have heard that only one direction is in good shape, the other is in very bad condition. Please check the street view in google maps. When you zoom in close enough you can have the view on each direction independently. It looks that lanes towards Berlin are OK but the road from Berlin to Wrocław is bad.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Krakow to Berlin

Yeah, 18 is quite bad when you drive from Berlin but actually quite ok the other direction so the OP shouldn't worry about it.

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Krakow to Berlin

The direction Kraków > Berlin is OK (the other direction is not nice close to the German border). Take the motorway, be prepared for toll booths and the first right/left decision is to be made in Berlin (if you can make it on one tank).

9. Re: Driving from Krakow to Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Krakow