We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts

Dracut...
9 posts
Save Topic
Gifts

Being a member of the first born generation of Polish decent in the USA I will also be the first cousin to visit Poland. Planning to spend a week in both Warsaw and Krakow in mid December. Hoping to visit all the main sights and Christmas markets in both cities. I would like to bring back special gifts for elderly aunts and uncles, as well as cousins. Can anyone suggest a traditional gift that would represent Poland and have special meaning for someone Polish? Thank you.

Best Seller
Day Trip to Auschwitz Birkenau and...
261 reviews
from US$87.20*
Best Seller
Full-Day Tour to Auschwitz-Birkenau...
91 reviews
from US$72.90*
Best Seller
Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum and...
247 reviews
from US$48.00*
Best Seller
Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum Half-Day...
1,358 reviews
from US$48.41*
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts

Gingerbread, rose petal jam, Wedel have sme very nice new chocolate varieties (creme brulee is excellent!). More dependant on whether they like it - smoked cheese from the Tatry?

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts

I'd add real kielbasa & vodka, as well as amber and embossed leather slippers that they sell in the Sukiennice. If they're religious, then your options are multiplied several-fold.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts

Hi!

Here's some ideas...

Food:

- Torcik Wedlowski (go to the Wedel shop, you'll find them in the larger malls).

- Ptasie mleczko (again, Wedel). Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, Wedel chocolate is no longer good, so no chocolate from Wedel :)

- Śliwki w czekoladzie (plums covered with chocolate...) ->Delicious :) - again from Wedel

- Sękacz - typically Polish cake, really good. Comes from the North-East of Poland. Make sure it's fresh. May be hard to find in the south of Poland.

- Alcohol - Żubrówka (make sure it has a single straw inside the bottle). Or beer, but you'd have to look into that, as all of the major brands are no longer owned by Polish breweries... Or miód pitny (mead)

- For women, try to find Nalewka - sweet, home-made vodka-like drink made of spirit / vodka and variety of fruits...

- smoked cheese - well... I'd say it should rather be Oscypek - sheep cheese made by the mountaineers from Zakopane... Pretty hard to buy a good one... (e.g. not made of cow milk, fresh, etc)

Non-food:

- How about Christmas carols ? You'll be here in December, so you will have plenty of them to choose from... Go to Empik and talk to the staff about the best ...

- Christmas ornaments (there is a good shop right in the center of Warsaw near the Intercontinental hotel)

- Amber jewellery (pretty expensive...)

Edited: 07 March 2014, 23:18
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts

Plums in chocolate are awesome.

Also the Ptasie mleczko is amazing, as I know it birds milk.

There is lots of sausage and bread that is amazing but if you are taking it back to America you need to check what you can take back as I know they are normally strict with food.

Amber is not that expensive over there compared to the UK.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts

God, yes - plums in chocolate are truly amazing! How could I forget?! I've never found any that were as good as those we got during Communism, but I know that some brands come close. At least that's my excuse to try lots of varieties out to see what comes closest...

Zabrze, Poland
Destination Expert
for Silesia Province
Level Contributor
758 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts

Striped flint (sometimes called banded flint) is a unique Polish jewelery as well. Look at W.Kruk shops.

7. Re: Gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Krakow