We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer advice

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
First timer advice

My wife and I both I our mid 40’s are looking to visit Krakow in late June this year for four nights.

Whilst there we plan to visit Auschwitz, Schindler's Factory and also explore the city , eat in local eateries and sample a few ales .

As it will be our first time we would appreciate advice on areas to stay and suitable accommodation.

Accommodation wise we are not looking for luxury, all we require is B and B , hotel or apartment clean and friendly within easy walking distance to bars and restaurants. Somewhere with a little character would be nice.

Recommendations and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

Rayleigh, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer advice

We visited Krakow for the first time last month and had a great stay at the Cracowdays. Lovely, clean rooms in a quiet street 10 minutes walk from the old square. You also have access to a kitchen where tea, coffee and biscuits are supplied and you can use the fridge and microwave. The staff are really helpful and will happily book taxis, restaurants etc. The restaurant opposite Zielona Kuchna was one of the best meals we had and you get 10% off for staying at Cracowdays. We also ate at Trzy Kroki and the food was also fabulous. It is a little bit of a walk so we got a taxi for 13Pln and walked back stopping at the square.

We only had 2 full days but managed to visit Auschwitz and the Salt Mines in one day on a tour. I would also recommend the free walking tours if you want to get to know Krakow. I have put on reviews for all of the above.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer advice

We are here for the first time and so far so good. We got the bus from terminal 1 at night, you walk out of terminal 1 and go right and it curves to the left, about 75 m all together and there is a little bus stop. It's 5 pln and you need coins to buy on the bus, the machine at the stop takes notes but if it runs out of coins for change it stops taking notes. You can pay for the taxi but it seems silly when the bus is so cheap! We got off at the galleria mall which is still open around 10 pm. Our hotel was overbooked but they got us another one and taxi'd us there so no issue really.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer advice

I can really recommend tango house b&b, this is located only about 30seconds walk from the main square.

Its a nice b&b but there are plenty of stairs to the rooms. We have stayed there twice and the staff are really friendly and always helpful.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer advice

A taxi from the airport won't be to expensive. You could book it before or just jump in a taxi outside the airport and it will cost around 80z. You could take a bus also. I'm sure if you contact your Hotel they will arrange pick-up for you

The train is currently out of action till next year

Kantor's for changing money if needed avoid the Orange ones. I would always advise to take a little money with you in-case but you will get a better rate if you change the majority up there. The best one is usually in Galeria Krakowska

You can arrange Auschwitz via a tour company or do it yourself and use the tour guides there. Either way is good but depends on preference really. Organising a trip and getting pick-up is always easier but obviously more expensive. You can do a tour which does the Salt Mines and Auschwitz in on day if you book it with a company and your have more time for other things. That is the advantage with using a company as you may get to do more. There are more companies out there but you can also wait until you get there as it won't be a problem to book

Restaurant prices are very cheap. Obviously if you stay on the main square your pay more. I have made a couple of suggestions for you that I like. If you head on any street off the main square your find lot's restaurant. some underground and some hidden down alley's so keeps your eyes open

There is a company that do different crazy tours and show you round Nowa Huta and you see a lot of history. I have never used them but heard good things. This was also the tour Michael Palin did on his new Europe programme. I will send you a link so you can check it out for yourself and see what you think. http://www.crazyguides.com/

I love Krakow it has to be my favourite city. I can recommend some of my personal favourite dishes such as Golabki ( Polish cuisine made from lightly soft boiled cabbage leaves wrapped around minced pork or beef, chopped onions, and rice or barley baked in a casserole dish in a tomato sauce)

Pierogi Ruski although there are lot's different types (first boiled, then they are baked or fried usually in butter with onions – traditionally stuffed with potato filling, sauerkraut, ground meat, cheese, or fruit.)

Bigos - (There is no single recipe for a savoury stew of cabbage and meat, as recipes vary from region to region and from family to family. Typical ingredients include white cabbage, sauerkraut (kapusta kiszona in Polish), various cuts of meat and sausages, often whole or puréed tomatoes, honey and mushrooms)

If the weather is good take a nice stroll around the Planty, which is the ring of greenery around the city

There's a few for you I recommend. There are many great restaurant in Krakow but my favourite is Starka http://www.starka-restauracja.pl/ This is always the one I recommend as it's my favourite. But you have many more to try and lot's of other amazing places to east. Gruzinskie Chaczapuri is a nice restaurant just off the Rynek Glowny (market square) also Pod Wawelem is nice

Have you thought about the Salt Mines? really worth a visit I think

You have places like Park Wodny - to relax / National Museum / Krakow Galeria - for shopping / schindler's museum / Kosciuszko Mound / jagiellonian university Krakow / Wawel Castle / Underground Rynek / Free walking tours / St Mary's church / Planty / Florenska gate, there a few things. I believe there is also a viewing balloon of the city on the other side of the Wistula River

Also somewhere I recommend to try is Wedel Chocolate lounge in the main market square. It truly is amazing and I can't say enough positive things about it. If you try it you'll see what I mean. There hot chocolate is second to none. I have had hot chocolate in Switzerland and it doesn't come close to how nice this place is.

Your have a great time as Krakow is an amazing place

I hope this is of some help to you. If you need to know anything else please do ask

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer advice

Sorry if it is too long

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer advice

Thanks for the great advice

Flights are booked we just need to decide whether to bade ourselves near to the Old town square or somewhere like Plac Nowy in Kazimierz

any thoughts

Guisborough, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer advice

We've stayed in Szeroka in Kazimierz twice now, albeit in the Rubinstein Residence which is probably more than you're looking for. The area is great, about a 5-10 min walk Plac Nowy. You can walk to the Old Town in 15-20 minutes from Kazimierz but a recent post about a mis-hap with some local people prompted us to take a taxi back to our hotel when it was late on.

Next time we go we are going to stay in an apartment but again it will be in Kazimierz as the local pubs and restaurants are a bit cheaper than the Old Town ones near the main square.

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer advice

Hi Jim

I tend to spend more time around Old Town than I do Kazimierz and therefore opt to stay in apartments within Old Town

There is the annual Jewish festival in Kazimierz and this year runs from June 27 - July 6th. Consequently the area will be busier than usual (if you are there that late in June).

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
814 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer advice

I would also suggest around the old town but Kazmierz is also beautiful

10. Re: First timer advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 05:16