We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

Bodmin, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

We are two ladies visiting Krakow for the first time arriving on Sunday .. Due to tight budget constraints we'd like to do as much travel as possible by public transport.

I have read a lot of questions and answers on the forum regarding buses but am still somewhat confused! Busses ,coaches, mini buses, private bus companies, trams! How on earth do we know what busses go where!

First issue is getting from the airport .. I think I have sussed that there is a bus we could pick up that goes to Ul Dluga where our hotel (Arabella) is situated .?. but how do we find the right bus stop/bus/timetable ?? Do we need to buy tickets before we get on the bus? We will have no Polish coins/small notes at this stage?

Is there any kind of 3 day type travel pass available to buy as with other European cities?

Would also like to do Auswitch trip by bus .. Anyone able to advise on times of busses and again am confused over busses/minibuses .. is it 2 separate companies ? Or is it possible to buy return tickets for either?

It seems the more I read the more confused I get!!..

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

There si the public bus company .. MPK Krakow that run scheduled buses, then there are loads of "private" operators who run little minibuses

Typicallly the MPK provide services within Krakow, the private operators a little further a field. There are 2 public buses that run from the train/bus station to the airport, the 292 and the 208. The both stop at Nowy Kleparz which is at the top of Dluga, its the 2nd last stop. This ticket will be 4PLN ( about 80p)

If you come out the airport and turn right and follow the road to where it turns left at the end of the airport building you will find the bus stops

Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
309 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

If you have a smartphone download this app. Jakdojade.pl. its really useful tells you everything.

Guisborough, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

Not so sure about public transport in the city as we walk most places but I can offer insight into Auschwitz.

You can book to take a tour with a company but this is way more expensive than DIY.

I was about to start rambling on but a quick search on google has produced this useful description:

krakowaccommodation.co.uk/getting_to_auschwi…

The link refers to only purchasing single tickets but you can get returns (or you could last week) and the driver will give you a small timetable of when the mini-bus will be returning to Krakow.

Also, getting on at the bus station means you are more likely to get a seat as the driver stopped and picked a few people up on the way (not every farmer's gate, just a few stops) however if you go early, we were on the 7.50am bus, there weren't so many people anyhow.

Regarding taking a guided tour - I do believe that as it will be April, you will actually be required to pay for a tour if you arrive after 10am. (We had arrived by 9.30am by taking the 7.50am bus). This post helped me out when I was originally planning to visit in April:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274772-i961-k70…

Bodmin, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

Thanks Scottish Poet for your reply regarding the bus into Krakow.. silly question but how will we know where to get off the bus? Is there a display in the bus? Do we have to buy tickets in advance or can we pay the driver?

Thanks Newbiggin26 for that link .. I will check it out.

KiwiDude.. That's an excellent link isn't it! .. We are hoping to go to Auswitch on the 31 st March.. Thinking this may be the last day this year that we can go around on our own without a guide.. but not certain of this? .. Was it this Month that you visited ?...I had a look at some bus timetables but couldn't see one that would get us there before 10 am at this time of year.

Many thanks all

Guisborough, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

It was last Tuesday we went. The bus was at 07.50 and we arrived around 09.30. We didn't look at timetables really, just knew we wanted to be early as the museum shuts earlier in the colder months.

Also - the minibus return times on the ticket the driver gave us, showed that the bus back was around 3.30 (ish - can't quite remember). The next was around 5.30. There was no bus at around the closing time of the museum, 4pm I think, so we had to get the earlier 3.30-ish one. So, arriving early was definitely a good idea so we could maximise our time, and take it at our own pace.

If you go March 31st you should be able to arrive any time and it won't be mandatory to join a guided tour.

If you go from April 1st and arrive BEFORE 10am you shouldn't need to join a tour.

If you arrive AFTER 10am I believe you will.

From the Museum's website: "Those who wish to visit the Memorial without a guide may enter the Auschwitz I site at non-peak hours, before 10:00 a.m. or after 3:00 p.m."

Top tip - if you don't need to join a tour, don't be put off by the tour groups queuing out the front, you will be able to walk past them (left entrance to building, right hand side of the queue itself) to the singlies line. We discovered this after waiting for a few minutes until realisation kicked in!

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

On MOST buses from the airport into the city there is an electronic map showing you where you are and what the next stop is. However like most of these systems occasionally it is not working properly.

All the stops have the name of the stop written on them,

After around 20 or 30 minutes your bus will make a left turn onto a big dual carriageway. shortly after that you will cross an intersection with a tram line. The stop at that intersection is Plac Invalidow. Nowy Kleparz is 2 stops later, again at an intersection with a tram line.

Getting to the salt mine you can use a public service bus, number 304 timetables available here.

http://krakow.jakdojade.pl/?locale=en

ticket process are available here

…krakow.pl/pl/…

The airport and salt mines are in zone 2 so you need the green ticket prices for those

Other travel around the city is really all in zone 1. A three day (72 hour) ticket is available but not covering zone 2.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

Buying bus tickets for the public services buses........ the driver has a limited selection of bus tickets. Most buses now have a machine on them but these machines only accept coins. There is also a machine at the bus stop at the airport. I am not sure but I suspect it will accept notes and credit cards.

Typically people buy tickets from kiosks before they get on the bus or tram.

On the private minibuses you would typically just pay the driver.

If you are getting a "coach" from the bus station to Auschwitz I think you can buy tickets from the ticket office or from the driver.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

Hi scottishpoet are you shore about the green ticket i thought it was orange?I got the express bus to Auschwitz @ 7.30 from the bus station arrived about 9.00hrs cost 12zls return bus 14.50hrs.5zls for a guide booklet and your good to go.You pay the driver as you board the bus, last Tuesday only 5 traveled out.Cheers Chris

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

Chris

Yes, i am absolutely sure about zone 2 green tickets for the airport and the saltmine

The public service buses and trams provide by MPK that serve zone 1 and zone 2 in Krakow, such as to the airport and the saltmine, do not go to Auschwitz.

I deliberately said nothing in that post about Auschwitz. Those tickets need to be bought on the bus or at the bus ticket office station.

Its like comparing "London buses" with national express in the UK, they do not accept each others tickets

Edited: 27 March 2014, 00:30
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transport in Krakow... Confused

Of course no bus will say 'Auschwitz' on the front, nor will most maps. Look for 'Oświęcim' (pronounced something like OSH-VYEN-CHIM)

Get answers to your questions about Krakow