We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Mines for the clumsy...

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Mines for the clumsy...

Hi,

First, thanks for all the great advice I have received. We are a bit apprehensive about a trip to the salt mines. My DH has COPD and is hesitant about the climb down. Do you sense that there is less oxygen as you go to the lower areas? Also, I'm the clumsy one- I admit it although I'm in pretty good physical condition for 63. A reviewer just commented that the walk down is "not for the faint hearted". Can someone more accurately describe the stairs/railings and how difficult it really is? I know about the elevator up and I tried to ask about these concerns on the salt mine's website but was sent a non helpful response by the spa that they operate.

Can one of you "hold my hand" as I make my decision to go to the Salt Mines. I just don't want to be the irritating person at who everyone in the tour group is rolling their eyes.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

COPD is supposed to be one of the things a stay in the Mine sanitorium will address - you;re suppoed to feel better, not worse, as a result of a visit.

Thousands of people of differing abilities visit every day, but if you;re worried, bring walkers or a wheelchair and book yourselves onto a disabled tour - that way, what you see is reduced, but you go down by lift and the tour route is all flat.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

I am a bit above 40 and I have never thought about the walk down the stairs in Wieliczka something "not for the faint-hearted". Don't worry, just go. If in doubt, discuss with the staff at the gate the lift option (was it you who asked about it some time ago ?).

Also don't worry about the rest of your tour. Wieliczka is so beautiful that even if they are a bit slower - they'll enjoy it.

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
626 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

If you can manage walking down stairs you would be OK there is just a lot of them there are handrails to hold onto also you don't go straight down there are different levels so you get a break from walking down the stairs

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

Walking down is quite safe and no problem at all. Going up you will take a lift so that shouldn't be a problem

I know it is different but I am a sufferer of Asthma and have been down there 3 times and never had an issue. I hope that helps you

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

Thanks! You have all given me good information and I will make sure we schedule it. I work hard to stay in shape but am an orthopedic nightmare with old injuries/surgeries that are not visible (although a young doctor looked at the scar on my neck from spinal surgery and kept asking to see if I was a depressed person. Did he feel foolish when I told him that, no I hadn't attempted suicide, it was from spinal surgery...)

I just need to be cautious and I looked at some of the pictures from JohnB's site and it looks very doable. Thanks for your encouragement.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

You will enjoy it. Was much more interesting and a lot better than I thought. My initial thought was how interesting can an old Salt Mine be. Turn out I was very wrong as it's really interesting and worth a visit :-)

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

For anyone looking for something a bit different, there are "real mine" tours at Wieliczka, too. Off the tourist trail, into the parts less-travelled. There's also a chlidren's tour. See the mine websie for details

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
644 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

I think it may have been me with the "not for the faint hearted" comment.......i hope I havn't put you off.....I just meant that there are many many steps but just watch your footing...I did slip at 1 point, but im clumsy too......there were people of all ages in our tour group and we were never rushed at any time....there are also opportunites in some of the chambers to sit on benches. I hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Bodmin, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

We are hoping to visit the saltmine next Tuesday.. I am asthmatic and my friend could trip over a leaf!! ..I also read that the air in there was considered therapeutic for people with breathing issues. When are you going Conniecolumbus? .. We could all hold hands!!

Edited: 29 March 2014, 18:45
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salt Mines for the clumsy...

I'm not going until mid May. Please report back on your adventure and send suggestions and updates. You guys are great.