We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hastings
Level Contributor
160 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

My friend and I are transport fanatics and we both have reduced mobility so we usually like to see a city by travelling on some kind of vehicle rather than too much walking.

We're spending 6 days in Krakow and are looking for out of town places to go that are interesting or scenic, that we could visit by tram, bus or train, about 30 to 60 minutes travel each way.

I've downloaded the bus and tram routes, but they tell me nothing about what's en route, what routes are scenic or interesting.

Also, is there a transport museum?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

Consider Chabówka - a railway museum, one of the best in Poland... It's located near Rabka, some 1-1:15 hr drive. Unfortunately currently there are no trains from Kraków to Chabówka, due to the railway reconstruction, even if they were operating it would be over 2hrs ride. However, you may go to Rabka by bus from Kraków and from there get a cab...

Hastings
Level Contributor
160 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

Thanks for that ... took a look - it's 1 hr 50 to get there .... hmm...

I have just stumbled across Tarnow .... looks a pretty town, though also I hr 50 each way by bus or train.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 14:06
Hastings
Level Contributor
160 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

There do not appear to be any river tours, which is a huge disappointment. I just love going on boat tours!

Hastings
Level Contributor
160 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

(I should add, the boat tours start in May.)

Pyrzowice, Poland
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

There is a 'transport museum' in Kraków: http://www.mimk.com.pl/ - Kazimierz district; nice restaurant nearby: Stara Zajezdnia

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

Helena, although the water tram is what is says, you can cover a lot of the river either as a "cruise" or as a hop on-hop off as you wish. It runs all year round, though there'll be a new timetable for summer, starting 1 May.

The Polish Air Museum is in the north of Krakow and there's a large % of transport stuff in the old tram depot, now the City Museum of Engineering (trams, cars...)

As for an excursion, what about a trip to Ojcow National Park and a ride by horse-drawn cart? Ojcow is Poland's smallest NP, almost hidden in a gorge, forested with a ruined castle, another castle which houses artworks and a museum, the scientific museum, the chirch over the water - very popuar with Cracovians. The Jura, which contains Ojcow and stretches all the way to Czestochowa, is an amazing area of rock formations (Jurassic) and again V popular with walkers but not so easy for those of us in wheelchairs or with walking issues!

Or Tyniec? Kalvaria Zeb?

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

I am not sure you will get much of an excursion by tram unless you use the tram other than around the city

maybe

Sanktuarium Bożego Miłosierdzia (www.milosierdzie.pl/lagiewniki/index.php/en/)

if you do free walking tours tour of nowa huta they will take you to and from Nowa huta by tram

You can use a local service bus to get to the salt mines at Wieliczka

All these trips would be less that 1 hour

Edited: 14 April 2014, 19:43
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

less than 1 hour travel each way is what I meant to say

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

if you have mobility issues then a walking tour of nowa huta may not be top of your list but you can take a bus or tram to the church of the Arc in Nowa Huta

inyourpocket.com/poland/…The-Lords-Ark_55453v

journey time will be about 30 minutes

10. Re: Excursions by tram/bus/train within1hr Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 06:15