We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Itinerary & few Questions

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Rough Itinerary & few Questions

Hello,

My wife and me are planning to be in Krakow in the second week of September for three days at Ibis Budget Stare Miasto. We land on Monday at 12 noon and leave on Wednesday night at 10. The following is my itinerary.

Day 1: Go to the hotel from the airport. Visit the Wawel Castle Complex

Day 2: Take a tour Auschwitz & Salt Mine

Day 3: Morning walking tour of the old town. Stroll through Kazimierz in the afternoon

Kindly review and advise on my plan. The few queries that I have are as follows:

1 - How long does it normally take to clear customs and collect luggage at the airport?

2 - I am planning to take bus 292 from the airport to the hotel. From what I understand it stops right outside the hotel. Is there place to keep luggage in the bus and is it very crowded?

3 - Where can I find a reliable and safe money changer near my hotel?

4 - Could you recommend a few restaurants that serve good vegetarian (no fish, meat or eggs) food?

5 - Reccomendation for tours of Auschwitz and Salt mine?

These are a few things that come to my mind as of now. As the trip comes closer I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks in advance to all those take time to read & reply to my post. I am open to suggestions and opinions.

Regards, Rishi

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough Itinerary & few Questions

You need to look at Krakow Tours (.co.uk) and Krakow Shuttle for your Auschwitz/Wieliczka day. It will be a long day - close to 11 hours - and tiring, but these companies use small buses/vans so there is less chance if delays. Contact them asap to ensure a booking.

Poland is not a major veg destination and few places would be "pure veg" as you see in India. If I were you I'd do some research on Polish recipes to see what contains eggs, in particular, as we'd not exclude eggs here. Many places will do salads, though, and soups.

Day 3 afternoon - why not join the walking tour of Kazimierz and Podgorze?

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Itinerary & few Questions

1 - How long does it normally take to clear customs and collect luggage at the airport?

About 10 minutes

2 - I am planning to take bus 292 from the airport to the hotel. From what I understand it stops right outside the hotel. Is there place to keep luggage in the bus and is it very crowded?

Correct, stop is called Polytechnika. you can also catch the 208

3 - Where can I find a reliable and safe money changer near my hotel?

In the huge shopping mall next to your hotel, galleria krakowska

4 - Could you recommend a few restaurants that serve good vegetarian (no fish, meat or eggs) food?

Sorry, not good at the vegetarian restaurants

5 - Recommendation for tours of Auschwitz and Salt mine?

If you want to do both in one day I would recommend krakowtours.co.uk

Edited: 10 June 2014, 22:25
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Itinerary & few Questions

There are many places that cater for vegetarians, although you'll have to check whether they include eggs in specific dishes. Try Dynia, Karma and Yellow Dog on ul. Krupnicza, and also Cheder, Nova and Moment in Kazimierz.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Itinerary & few Questions

dont despair....poles do vegetables very well....sometimes like at polakowski, they will have a very nice salad bar with all those nice delicate salads made from cabbage,carrot,beets etc......theres also pierogi....dumplings stuff with cheese,fruit or cabbage and mushroom.....potato pancakes,and various other potato dishes....try pizza at italian restaurants...you'll do fine...just look around a bit

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Itinerary & few Questions

Hello,

Thanks John, Scottishpoet, Ewain & Casey for your replies.

I have a few other questions.

Where can I get the ticket for the the bus 292 or 208?

I will have EUR and will need to change that in PLN. Is there a money changer at the airport?

I have noted down all the suggestions for food and will research and read more on Polish cuisine and restaurants in Krakow itself in the coming days. Thanks you.

Regards, Rishi

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Itinerary & few Questions

Bus tickets cost 4zl each way and can be bought:

- from the bus driver

- at the RELAY newsagent’s shop – T1 international terminal, mezzanine

- from the ticket machine at the bus stop,

Additionally, ticket vending machines can be found on 292 line buses.

Please read About vaildating your ticket.

The bus routes and stops can be found via krakowairport.pl/en/…a198.html

Yes, but don't change very much - the rate is lower at the airport exchange

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Itinerary & few Questions

Hi. We went to Krakow last year and are going back again this summer. There are several Vegetarian restaurants and cafes. Try looking at the web site Happycow.net which lists them all. We liked Glonojad which was just to the north of the old town and not far from the station. Also Cafe Mlynek at the south end of the old town. All were good value.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 21:39
8. Re: Rough Itinerary & few Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:16