We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern Europe Tour

Canton, Michigan
6 posts
Save Topic
Eastern Europe Tour

Hi everyone!

I am looking at planning a trip to Eastern Europe, with Poland (mainly Krakow) being my main interest. I am tentatively thinking of visiting Prague, Krakow, Vienna, Budapest. Obviously this is a lot (I am thinking 8-10 days). What is the best way to get around? Bus or train?

Also, I have never travelled solo before and think I will have a hard time convincing my parents it is safe and ok. Would you recommend traveling solo or going on a tour (ie busabout, contiki, etc)

Any recommendations at all?

I want to see FOR SURE Auchwitz, and the salt mines...

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastern Europe Tour

If I were you I'd take overnight trains between the chosen destinations. That way you will lose minimum sightseeing time and will best utilise the time you have.

I have been to Budapest many a times, Vienna a fair few times and Krakow once a month ago. All 3 cities are beautiful and you could easily spend the intire time you have in just 1.

This part of the world is safe, as long as you use common sense. You will also find a lot of people with English / a middle aged newsagents lady in a non touristy bit of Vienna looked offended when I asked her if she spoke English / in the main areas.

I have personally never been on a group trip, but if that's easier to convince your parents to let you go, go for it- you could meet people your age to share future adventures with, you never know :)

Edited: 05 July 2014, 09:21
MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastern Europe Tour

You could consider taking a hydrofoil along the Danube to get between Vienna and Budapest. - a quick Google search will give you time and costs.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eastern Europe Tour

10 days is the minimum you need for those 4 cities, but it's still little time. An absolute minimum for Kraków + Auschwitz + Salt Mines is 3 full days, but 4 days would be better.

Canton, Michigan
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eastern Europe Tour

I was really thinking maybe only three of these cities but wasn't sure which to eliminate first...

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
991 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eastern Europe Tour

If you eliminate Budapest, it would make for a better trip in my opinion. Budapest is a big city and a little farther away.

Krakow to Prague and Prague to Vienna are easy journeys, and there are several other spots around there you could visit instead if you wanted. E.g. Olomouc, Bratislava.

3 days in each of the cities though would be more valuable than stretching 10 days over 4 cities, including transit time.

6. Re: Eastern Europe Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 12:06
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eastern Europe Tour

I did Budapest, Vienna & Prague on a separate trip spending 3 nights in each city - which I found was good, but could have easily spent another night in either city. I took the train from each city. I have reviews on here from each hotel I stayed in during my trip. I recommend all the hotels I stayed at. Lots to do in every city. I can't imagine staying in any of these cities for less time.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eastern Europe Tour

None of these places is in Eastern Europe, and it is totally safe - I would fancy my chances more in this part of the world than I would in Michigan so you can put your parents' minds at rest :)

9. Re: Eastern Europe Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 07:16