We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow

Liverpool
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow

Going in Nov - getting in at 8.15pm - better to organise taxi with hotel or just get one outside the airport? How much should we pay to get to the Regent in the Jewish Quarter?

We are 2 couples in 30's - any recommedations for bars or restaurants?

Thanks.

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow

If its your first time to Krakow I think its less stressful to have a taxi waiting for you at the airport. Cost is about 60 zlotys - about £10. The hotel should be able to organise one for you.

Bars and restaurants? Well its horses for courses to tell the truth - you may be a pair of wild 30 something couples!!! I suggest a browse through www.cracow-life.com and see what you like. The good thing about Krakow if you go into a bar and don't like it then its not far to the next one (usually next door in fact)

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
uk
Level Contributor
262 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow

Hi we also stayed at the Regent and we organised the taxi through the hotel as we didnt want the hassle when we arrived,having said that you could pick one up,we paid around80k,our driver was really nice and in his broken english was telling us about the area etc.We were glad we choose this option.

The old market square is about 15 min walk away so we spent our evenings in the jewish quarter and this was a good choice.There is a small square not far from the hotel with a few bars and restaurants-ask at hotel for directions.We ate at Szara Kazimierz really good.

There are lots of bars near the hotel where it seems less tourist and more polish trendy go which we loved,not hearing english voices wonderful.

We took the trip to Auschwitz through the hotel although probably expensvive it is door to door service and your own freedom to spend more or less time in the 2 camps and after a very moving day it was nice to have your own taxi home.price is per car so for 4 a good option

hope this helps enjoy you will have a fab time

Mentioned in this post
Szara  Kazimierz
Szara Kazimierz
670 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Liverpool
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow

Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

How log was the trip door to door?

uk
Level Contributor
262 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow

it was around 1 hour 10 mins depending on traffic.They will leave at any time if you do not want a guide there if you do, there are certain ti mes for english speaking guides.we choose no guide option as we wanted to visit in our own time.Saw the guides seemed very interesting tho

Liverpool
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow

Thanks for your help.

w62
London
Level Contributor
918 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow

The Jewish Quarter has lots of bars and restaurants which apparently attract more locals. We found a great cellar bar playing some jazz music. There were also a couple of nice bars on the main square. We ate in the Ariel and Alef restaurants on the main square and enjoyed a traditional Jewish folk music trio after dinner. I can recommend both restaurants. One night we fancied a 'night off' Polish and Jewish traditional fayre and ate at 'Portofino' Italian restaurant which is behind the square and just before the High Synagogue. There is also a rather splendid courtyard just before the Tourist Information centre (where scenes from Schindlers List were filmed) and there are a couple of bars in there which are very nice. We ate in a traditional Polish restaurant there too. I think it was great but I had a lot of vodka that night!!

We stayed near the main square but we loved the Jewish Quarter so much that we spent nearly every evening there apart from the last night when we ate at a Corsican restaurant called Paese - this is also worth a visit.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Ariel
Ariel
963 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Liverpool
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow

Thanks w62 - really helpful

w62
London
Level Contributor
918 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow

Just reread my post and it's a little confusing. When I say main square I mean the square (or Wide Street, Szeroka st) in Jewish Quarter. The last time I mention main square I mean the main square in Old Town Krakow.

The Corsica restaurant Paese is in Poselska street which runs off Grodzka St which in turn runs off the main square (as in Old Town main square)! You must try this one - especially if you've had enough sauerkraut and/or fish in aspic for one day!

Sorry!

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
Old Town Apartments
Old Town Apartments
266 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
9. Re: Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 17:18