We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

castle visit

england
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
castle visit

went to krakow last yearbut unfortunately the airline lost my luggage so i didnt get to see all i wanted as all i had was the clothes i traveled in for 3 days,so last 2 days when i got my bags i went to mines and auzwits,when i went to look at the castle people outside were asking if i needed a guide,when i go back dec i want to go to the castle and was wondering how i do it,do i need a guide?do i book in advance?how long will i need for the visit?how much does it cost?any other info please.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: castle visit

We just came back from Krakow and did not use a guide for Wawel Castle. The castle has reduced hours, approximately 8-4. You buy tickets withing and depending on the ticket you can walk through on your own. Having said that there are numerous walking tours that you can sign up for in old town that are done in numerous languages. Krakow was not expensive and many group tours were between 60 and 120 Zs. If you buy a guide book I do not think a tour guide is necessary.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
992 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: castle visit

Have a look here for more info on Wawel:

http://www.wawel.krakow.pl/emenu.htm

england
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: castle visit

hi thanks for that,i looked on the web site and it seems lots of different areas with admision for each,is it recomended to see them all, or only certain ones?

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: castle visit

first thing i do when i get to krakow is buy my ticketts to the castle and cathedral....because you never know how busy it will be and they limit admissions now.....it wasnt too long ago that you could just walk into the cathedral free anytime......the poles have finally smartened up about this..as far as what to see...the cathedral is a must...how long?....depends on you...how much into detail you want to go....if you get a really good guide book you wont need a tour guide....but a great tour guide can really make the history of this place come alive.......as for the castle....the only must see are the staterooms....with the really excellent collection of flemish tapestries....amazing.....you must go with a group here....and book tickets ahead of time...the royal chambers you can pass on....not very interesting as they have been devastated so many times.....i took this tour and it was the worst one ever!...the museum section is interesting enough....but if short on time the czartoryski museum is much better for this and a must see in krakow....i have never taken the lost wawel tour...would be interested to know if its worth while.....you might check on the square and see if there is a guided tour for the whole complex.....it might save you time and make it all the more interesting

england
Level Contributor
570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: castle visit

thanks casey128 very helpfull,cant wait to go back

6. Re: castle visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 04:16