We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

N Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

Thinking about going to Zakopane for Christmas & New Year 2015. 2 adults 3 kids aged 12, 10 & 2

Any accommodation recommendations house, apartment or nice hotel with pool close to amenities.

Would it be worth staying in krakow for a night?

Daughter has severe nut allergy any suggestions?

Kids haven't skied before what's it like in Poland?

Would we need to hire a car?

What is it like over the festive season? Would we be better to go after Christmas?

Many Thanks

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

Yes, think about timing. Xmas will be nice, but the skiing is not guaranteed. Poland has not had much snow this winter - by this time last year we had had snow since before Xmas and it was now two feet deep. This year, a green Xmas and only one day of damp slushy stuff since. Zak will be nice for Xmas, but for snow-sports come later.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

Thank you :-)

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

If you want to go to Zakopane, find a hotel in Zakopane or nearby.

The road between Krakow and Zakopane is rather difficult, even if it's 90 km you need some 2,5-3 hours of travel just one way. Also, it is regularly jammed especially during holiday peak, even 7 hrs is possible then.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

Definitely spend time in krakow. The historical centre, wavel castle, cathedral. Schindlers factory with occupation if krakow exhibition. You can't eat street zapikanka and generally I love krakow. Aim to spend 2 days, therefore if the snow lets you down Krakow will be a real highlight. It's a bit rough round the edges but the centre is a real jewel in the crown

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
120 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

If you think about skiing, try some nearby villages, like Bialka, Witow or Bukowina - skiing infrastructure is more suitable for learning there.

Krakow is a must - Wawel castle with cathedral and 'Dragons Dungeon', and Old City. As suggested before, Krakow-Zakopane drive may be a bit challenging. Rabka-Zakopane part can be heavily congested, but there are options to bypass it (like [958] way via Chocholow).

Wieliczka Salt MIne is a famous place - but you can try less known, much cheaper and equally fascinating Bochnia Mine.

And maybe train will be a less stressfull option (and quite an unique experience) in case of one-day trip to Krakow.

YORK
Level Contributor
321 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

We have had 2 christmases in Zakopane with kids and if you ask them which christmas they will always remember it is the Zakopane ones , they are now 25 and 21 .

If you are doing xmas do a bit of research , Christmas eve is the big night with a special meal . most hotels will do something special , We went to midnight mass in the snow and spent Christmas day sledging ,.Of course ther is no dreadful telly which is a big bonus .

B

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

Hi we went on a ski holiday to Zakopane, Easter time 2013 as easter was very early. We researched the town as we have 2 young children ages 3 and 5 at the time. All the review websites were positive so we booked it and off we went. When we got there on Easter Sunday the apartment we stayed in was really modern and lovely but we didn't realise Zakopane is quite a big town and we really could of done with hiring a car as the locals speak little or no english and trying to get a taxi was a nightmare. Also there were no shops open not even a small shop to buy milk for 2 days!! With 2 small children this was just awful, we did manage to find the main street (after hours of walking and trying to find a local that could kind of understand us) and we got some take away food. The snow was amazing but as it was easter most of the slopes had closed and we had to get taxis to the slopes as they are not close you couldn't walk to them. There is a bus service which is good and regular but it isn't like a ski bus you would get in any other ski resort and it took us 3 days to find out where it was. I think we would of enjoyed Zakopane more if we had no children with us, we found it really isn't great for kids and my children were bored all there really was for them to do was play in the snow )which is ok for a while) as all the slopes had closed and there was no ski school, maybe it wouldn't of been so bad if we had went at a different time of the year. I've been to Austria and France skiing and I can say Zakopane is very different. If you do decide to go my advice would be to get a map of the town before you go, hire a car and know where you want to go in the town (the main street and ski slopes) because it is very difficult to get information when you are there. I hope this helps

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

Great advice...going here in August with a 14 year old so Im going to gather all the info I can before I go based on your advice

Ta

9. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 13:11
Newry, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Zakopane Christmas/new year 2015 with kids?

Zakopane is great. I have a house there. Skiing is good but some of the small slopes close to town are good for beginners. Watch out for new years as the town really fills up. Krakow is a must for a day or two. A really beautiful square. There is a bus from krakow Airport to Zakopane. Not sure times. the food is good, but they like their sausages. Zakopane is beautiful and it is quite small. A great indoor Aquapark close to the centre.

Get answers to your questions about Zakopane
Recent Conversations