We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

Hi

I am planning a family trip for next August. We will spend a couple of days in Wroclaw but then we would like to move to the mountains.

I was thinking of staying in Karpacz but I am finding it a bit hard to find a hotel I like with a family room. Can you recommend anything? Are there good public transport links to travel from one side of the city or the other?

If not Karpacz, I thought of staying at Palac Wojanow in Jelenia Gora but since most of the activities I am planning are at Karpacz, I don't know if there are good public transport links near this hotel/castle. Would a taxi trip from Jelenia Gora to Karpacz cost lot?

ALso, is it worth it going on a day trip to Prague or Dresden, considering the amount of time involved?

Thanks. I would appreciate any other tips you can offer. Three years ago we went to Krakow and Zakopane and though language was a problem we had the time of our lives.

Mentioned in this post
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia Province, Poland
Karpacz
Karpacz
Palac Wojanow
Palac Wojanow
207 Reviews
Jelenia Gora, Poland
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Zakopane
Zakopane
16 replies to this topic
Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

Theoretically, day trip to Prague would be possible from Jelenia Góra by car. But the travel would take about 6 hrs both ways (or more) so for me it would be just a waste of time, Prague is way too beautiful to spend only a few hours there.

You could go to Dresden by morning train that leaves Wroclaw at 06:35 and arrives in Dresden at 09:58. Then go back to Wroclaw at 6:09 pm (this train arrives in Wroclaw at 9:37 pm). I did Wro-Dresden-Wro day trip by car once and it wasn't bad - I stayed in Dresden for about 5 hrs (I visited my friend) and then got back to Wroclaw. But I have never done that by train.

You could go to Klodzko instead of Dresden or Prague from Wroclaw. It's just 100 km from Wroclaw, 1.5 hrs by train, located in the mountain valley - small old town with the fort and underground tunnels.

There are many buses connecting Jelenia Góra and Karpacz. It's only 17 km between those two but bus travel takes about 50 mins as it stops in many places on the way and it doesn't go the shortest way. Taxi travel would be expensive as they charge more for inter-city connections.

You can check bus connections here: http://en.e-podroznik.pl/

There are many hotels in the Karpacz area, but the websites are usually not translated into English. Try to look at those places below and if you happen to find anything you like then try to email the hotel directly or phone them. You can put the websites into Google Translator:

http://www.nocowanie.eu/?command=search_location&q_old=&q=Karpacz&geo=42&id_lokalizacji=0&termin=&kat_text=choose+a+category&kat=0&data%5Bod%5D=&data%5Bdo%5D=&miejsca=0

http://www.karpacz.ig.pl/

http://www.karpacz.net/noclegi/

http://www.karpacznoclegi.pl/noclegi_hotele

Edited: 06 February 2013, 12:24
Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Karpacz
Karpacz
Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll have to think about the number of days I spent in Wroclaw and Karpacz then. I'd need to stay longer in Wroclaw to go to Klodzo and/or Dresden.

Mentioned in this post
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Karpacz
Karpacz
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

When I was in Karpacz last year, there were a number of companies running 1-day coach trips to Prague, Dresden and other destinations directly from Karpacz. You left in the morning and returned in the evening.

It might be something to look into once you get there. This is just one firm offering such trips:

http://www.btsudety.com.pl/wycieczki.html

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Mentioned in this post
Karpacz
Karpacz
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

The website promises very interesting trips although guides will probably speak just Polish.

I noticed that most hotel restaurants offer dinner till max 8 o'clock. Do other restaurants close so early too in the evening?

I was also wondering if in Wroclaw or Karpacz there are markets selling traditional ornaments as we found in Krakow and Zakopane.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Karpacz
Karpacz
Krakow
Krakow
Zakopane
Zakopane
Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

"Do other restaurants close so early too in the evening?"

It depends... Restaurants in Wroclaw serve food to about 10 pm but in smaller towns, like for example the above mentioned Klodzko, they may end service earlier, about 9 pm. In mountain resorts, in high season, restaurants usually work to the last guest or as long as they have food available - because they know that people like skiing to late hours and after the long day on slopes they like to eat/drink a lot ;) But restaurants near slopes/lifts sometimes stop operating/serving food when the lifts are closed for the night.

Some hotels end food service early because they don't want to disturb their guests with kitchen noises. But usually even if the hotel restaurant is no longer operating they agree to provide room service, like sandwiches, salads or cold plates.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 10:46
Mentioned in this post
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

So thanks to websites mentioned by rocking pony, I managed to make a short list of some good ones. Already contacted a number of them. Re day trips, will keep a couple in mind but then it also depends on what area has to offer. Will keep ourselves flexible and then act accordingly.

Is there a direct bus from Wroclaw to Karpacz or not. According to site http://rozklad-pkp.pl/ there isnt a direct one.

thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Karpacz
Karpacz
Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

The above mentioned site http://rozklad-pkp.pl/ is about train connections and there is no operating train station in Karpacz.

You will find bus schedules here: http://en.e-podroznik.pl/ - there are several direct connections from Wroclaw to Karpacz. When you choose your hotel then ask them on which bus stop you should get off in Karpacz.

Mentioned in this post
Karpacz
Karpacz
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

Plans well on the way. We will be spending most of the time in Karpacz. We wanted to spend an afternoon in Szklarska Poreba especially a visit to Lesna Huta (glass factory) and Kamiencyzk gorge. Would it be possible to order a taxi from Karpacz to accompany us there and stay with us whole afternoon? Whom can I contact and How much would it cost approx?

Mentioned in this post
Karpacz
Karpacz
Szklarska Poreba
Szklarska Poreba
Lesna Huta
Lesna Huta
52 Reviews
Szklarska Poreba, Poland
Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

I think this kind of service is possible, arranged by a taxi company or maybe better by some local travel company. I guess you will find better prices when you ask travel companies (you can arrange a private guide-driver) but I have no idea how much that would cost. It won't be cheap, that's for sure. I think it will be best if you send some emails to local tourist companies that you can find in the internet and ask for prices (as we are not allowed to advertise anything here). Or maybe your hotel could help you with the arrangements?

Patos de Minas, MG
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan

Funny you should say language was a problem in Kraków, it's one of the european cities with the biggest number of non-native English speakers. Anyway, Wroclaw will be a great choice too!

Mentioned in this post
Wroclaw
Wroclaw
Reply to: Karpacz or Jelenia Gora : help needed to plan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Karpacz