We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport bus 406 - return journey

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Airport bus 406 - return journey

Just a quick warning about the 406 airport/city bus in Wroclaw. If you're staying centrally in Wroclaw (Old Town, near Panorama/Cathedral), the best place to get off the airport bus coming into town is at 'Renoma' (a large department store on the edge of the 'centrum'). The bus then contimues to the railway station, which means a longer walk back to Rynek/river.

However, due to the one-way system, it does NOT pick up at the same place on the way back to the airport. Luckily, we had enough time to walk on to the railway station (about 10-12 minutes) but then found the stop very hard to find - it is in 'Railway St' (Drocwra?) at the eastern end of the station then slightly north (or second left after turning right out of the main station entrance) - we had to ask at the TIC in the station. Also, bear in mind that the bus only runs every half an hour in the evenings - we just missed one! I think there is a bus stop on one of the inner ring roads (Podwale?) but I wouldn't rely on this (no-one appeared to get on) especially if you've got a 'plane to catch! Also, you're best to buy tickets in advance (only 3 zlotys each) as there is no machine at the stop.

On the plus side, the walk from Renoma to the Railway Station passes the fantastic 'Pedestrians' statue - people 'sink into the ground on one side of the road, and re-emerge on the other side! There are gnomes to spot on the way and the Station itself is an impressive affair, even in the dark!

Church of St. Elizabeth
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Church of St. Dorothea
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

Thanks for your remarks, foxjenny.

Here are some explanations:

You can buy tickets inside the 406 bus - credit/debit cards only, no cash. In fact, ticket machines are available inside every bus and tram in Wroclaw. They work perfectly fine with Visa, Visa Electron, Maesto and Mastercard.

Here is the map of every tram/bus connection in Wroclaw: http://wroclaw.jakdojade.pl/?locale=en You can type "406" into "Schedules" and you will see where exactly all those stops are located.

Info about how to get to/from the airport and where to buy tickets is available in the section "Top questions about WROCLAW" -> "How to get to the city and travel around?" located top right of this TA page.

I hope you had good time in Wroclaw :)

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

Hi rocking-pony,

I intend getting the 406 bus to the airport next Monday afternoon. My hotel is on Kielbasnicza Street - where is the nearest bus stop ?.

Thank you for all the excellent advice & tips on visiting Wroclaw.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

Hi, you can get off at "Arkady" and go straight Świdnicka Street. This is probably the shortest and nicest way.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

Do you mean I can get on the 406 bus at Arkady as I am going to the airport.

Thanks again.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

Ah, I'm sorry, I missed that part about going to the airport, not from the airport.

If you want to go in the airport direction then get on the 406 bus at "Renoma" stop, it's located just next to the Renoma shopping mall, few steps behind the big monument (on the river/moat bank).

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

Thank you for response. I read "foxjenny's report dated 23rd October which states you can get off 406 bus coming from airport at Renoma however due to one way system the bus does not pick up at same place going to airport. My hotel is on Kielbasnicza Street - where is nearest 406 bus stop going to airport - do I walk to train station Dworcowa ?.

Thanks again.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

As I wrote in some other thread, the bus schedules and routes have been changed recently due to some ongoing street renovations.

When you want to go to the airport the best stop to use is "Renoma" - just as I explained in post number 5 above. You can also use "Orląt Lwowskich" stop but this one is harder to find. You definitely don't have to go to "Dworcowa" - it's too far.

When you go from the airport then you get off at "Arkady", as I explained in post 3.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

Thank you very much.

Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
309 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

You wouldnt need to catch the bus if the taxi drivers were honest and put the meters on the right tariff.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport bus 406 - return journey

newbiggin26, did you have any bad experience with taxi drivers in Wroclaw? If so, then please - share it with us.

Taxi drivers in Wroclaw are usually reliable and they don't try to scam tourists. Of course things like this happen around the world but it's not common here in Wroclaw. Regular price from the airport to the city centre is about 40-50 PLN, the bus ticket costs 3 PLN - so for many travelers it's better and more affordable to take the bus, drivers' assumed lack of honesty is not the issue here.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 22:10
Get answers to your questions about Wroclaw
Recent Conversations