We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torun POW camps

Which Torun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Torun POW camps

My grandad was a POW in the forts of Torun (the Thorn) in WW2. I would like to visit the town, can anyone tell me if these forts still exist and how do I get to the town from the UK (I cannot drive) so is there a train station or airport?

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torun POW camps

Hi,

The forts still exist.

You can get to Toruń by train, bus.

If you like to take plane fm UK to Poland you have to consider airports in Gdansk, Warszawa or Bydgoszcz.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

Tarnowskie Góry
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Torun POW camps

Hello Whitbyabi

Please follow the link attached.

torundailyphoto.blogspot.com/search…

Please check all pages of the Following Her Father's Footsteps thread.

I have visited the fort a few times and graffiti and all other inscriptions on the walls are amazing. This blog will give you enough info to get there. Be aware that it's officially not open for public so you might get told off by the guard if you are unlucky, me personally haven't seen anyone there.

The rooms with inscriptions etc. are in the back of the fort on the main gate level (there are three levels). Room with graffiti is on the left right before long dark corridor going down behind the main gate. Three rooms with all inscriptions are at the end of that corridor.

Be careful while there as the fort is a serious state of decay and you might have to do a bit of jumping over high window sills. Also get yourself a good torch as the rooms have no windows and are in complete darkness.

Cheers

M.

Torun
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torun POW camps

Hi, I'm Glenn Standish the creator of the blog TORUŃ DAILY PHOTO which last year ran some stories about the incredible POW forts in Toruń. If you're interested in visiting the forts - it's best with a guide. If you want to contact me direct I can put you in touch with the director of a small local WWII museum who is an expert on the forts. He could take you there. Recently, there have been many relatives who have visited Toruń in search of the POW camps.

When would you visit Toruń? Avoid June as that's when EURO2012 will be...and most hotels will be full of football fans.

The best way to travel here is by plane with Ryanair from Stansted or Birmingam to Bydgoszcz (which is about 45km away from Toruń). From there you can then catch a bus or train.

All the best,

Glenn Standish

TORUŃ DAILY PHOTO

www.torundailyphoto.blogspot.com

Bp Auckland
Level Contributor
217 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torun POW camps

We were there in April 2011, we managed to visit 3 of the forts my uncle was held in .

We also visited the Malbork Cemetery and Tuchola.

If you need any advice for guides and tour organizing i can give you details of a great contact .

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torun POW camps

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I want to find which Polish POW camp my uncle was in . I am told Ancestry and similar sites have this info but surprise surprise they want to charge me a few quid for the pleasure and even then I don't know if they have this information.

My Uncle Percy Figg if anyone has heard of him (never know your luck) was part of the long march to freedom but as I understand he never left due to illness and therefore was shot. He ended up in Berlin war cemetery strangely enough but that's as far as I got.

Any ideas anyone.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Torun POW camps

Hi Glenn,

Planning to visit Torun later in 2014. My father was an Australia POW at Fort 15 during WWII. Can you please provide me with the contact details for the director of the small local WWII museum you mentioned in your post who is an expert on the forts. I would love to organise a tour of Fort 15.

Thanks.

Phill Johnson

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torun POW camps

Phil - Glenn has not posted since April 2012.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torun POW camps

Maybe:

Pomorskie Muzeum Wojskowe (Army Museum), ul. Czerkaska 2, 85-641 Bydgoszcz (at ul Gdanska).

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Torun POW camps

Thank you. I shall write a letter. Do you know his name and do you know if it is OK for me to write the letter in English?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Torun POW camps

I dont have the name. I'd expect a letter in English will be OK - but why not type it up in word and include a Google translation in case it helps?

Get answers to your questions about Torun