We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange

Which Warsaw hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Money exchange

I will be arriving at Warsaw airport at 9:00am in June. Where is it best for me to get Zlotys? I will need Zlotys for a taxi and for a tour of Warsaw right away.

Thank you.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money exchange

We have ATMs here and they usually give good rates. Or you can just change cash at a kantor.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money exchange

As Ewain says the ATM is the best option at the airport. The rates at the money exchange office are very poor. Once in the city either ATM or there are quite a few Kantors giving decent rates. You can find some of them in the Shopping Centres

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money exchange

Do not exchange money at the airport.

ATM give ok rates, but worse than regular KANTOR (the Polish for money exchange).

TAXI - from the airpot remember no to accept offers from taxi touts wandering arround the arrival hall and offering their services. You will surely overpay. TAKE THE TAXI FROM THE TAXI RANK LOCATED DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE ARRIVAL HALL. For these taxis you can pay with credit card (to avoid problems, ask the driver ahead if his credit terminal is working - they all have them, but once the terminal did not work and I had to pay with cash). THE RIDE FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE CITY CENTRE SHOULD NOT COST MORE THAN 50 PLN (it usually costs ca. 30 PLN, depends on the traffic and time of day)

In the city centre, the place to avoid for exchanging money is one of the kantors at the central railway station and one at Krakowskie Przedmiescie street opposite the Bristol hotel. The Kantor located in Złoty Tarasy Shopping mall (next to the railway station, right in the middle of the city, nice place for shopping) offers fairly good rates. Always look at the sell/buy rates, avoid kantors with english signs (especially in Krakow - avoid the Interexchange orange booths, which post only the "sell" rate (which is very high) - many people realize it after they leave the cash desk. Kantors in Poland do not charge commission - so a sign saying: "no commission" it does not make the Kantor more economic for you... (it is just an information for tourists, to make them think, they get good rates). Another OK kantor is in Arkadia shopping centre or in Intraco office buidling (which seems to offer one of the best rates in Warsaw).

Edited: 31 March 2011, 10:24
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money exchange

here about where the ATMs are - mind post number 2!

A:)

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money exchange

the best I found is just below the Marriot Hotel. in the underground shopping ally. There are like 3 Kantors & have found to give the best rates in the city & don't charge any transaction fees.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money exchange

hi mate,

do not exchange all of your money at the airports kantor, i guess you will have to exchange a small amount for the taxi, or use the ATM instead.

i agree with Luki_attorney, do not accept any "taxi services" from the yobbos inside the terminal, very expensive and not registered with the Warsaws Taxi Association :(

walk outside and get one of the taxis with a genuine logo displayed on the side doors of the actual taxi car ;)

7. Re: Money exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:17