We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

D.C.
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

My husband and I will be in Warsaw the first week of September and we're planning to take the overnight train to Prague.

We have some family members living in the area who have offered to pick-up our tickets before we arrive. Does anyone know if the ticket agent will require passport numbers or any other information on us beyond our names? I want to make sure we're providing our family with all of the necessary information.

The other option is for us to buy our own tickets when we arrive (which is only two days before we depart by train) -- is that cutting it too close? Do these trains sell-out or sky-rocket in price?

Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

If you have prepaid I'd be surprised if the ticket agent would just hand them over without some proof as to who is collecting and who for. If paying cash for tickets then unless they are "named" tickets then your collector shouldn't need anything else unless there are "concessions" you are utilising

D.C.
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

We haven't prepaid -- our family would buy the tickets on our behalf. Is that possible?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
817 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

Yes, sure, your family can buy the tickets for you. There's no need for passport number. The Czech Republic is in the Schengen Zone so there won't even be immigration checks when you cross borders.

Good to buy a bit earlier - ask your family to enquire about the promotional tickets, if there's any left for the day of your trip.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

We are thinking about going from Warsaw to Prague ourselves. When I looked into train prices, it was $100. The plane cost was $140. I think we are going with the plane option since it will give us more time in Prague.

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

In addition to rail connections, recently the Polish equivalent of the British Megabus provides coach routes between Warsaw and Prague.

The carrier is called PolskiBus. Coaches are really comfortable and the journey time is comparable to a overnight train Chopin - your train is called so. Ticket prices are very low. For more information on Megabus in Poland here:

europebus.co.uk/blog/…

www.polskibus.com

Edited: 27 August 2011, 14:01
Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Poland
Poland
Europe
Warsaw, Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

Don't take PolskiBus. They are notoriously unreliable. Send out misleading emails. They change their bus stops every month. If you miss the bus they never return the fare of the unused tickets.

They are preying on naive customers.

Warsaw, Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

Don't take PolskiBus. They are notoriously unreliable. Send out misleading emails. They change their bus stops every month. If you miss the bus they never return the fare of the unused tickets.

They are preying on naive customers.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

So the only reason to create an account on Tripadvisor seems to be your bad experience with Polskibus?

Warsaw, Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

I made the same experience. They have a lot of fine print rules. If you miss one of them you out of luck.

PolskiBus will be ok if you plan your trip with the highest precision and when everything goes according to the plan. If not - you don't see your money again.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Overnight Train Tickets to Prague

It's not unusual that you don't get your money back if you miss a bus/train/plane but I agree it's very annoying. Lots of transport companies (e.g. budget airlines or PKP) have thesame regulations.