We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English speaking taxi driver

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
English speaking taxi driver

Hi there,

I'm visiting Poland for the first time ever in May. I want to visit and research some places where my family lived and died during WWII around Warsaw, Radom, Tarnow and Krakow. I was planning to take the train between cities and find drivers in each locale.

For a start, can anyone recommend a driver who could help me in Warsaw?

Thanks.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English speaking taxi driver

Do you mean for just one or two routes (e.g. airport- city center) or for a whole day or more?

It would be nonsense to hire a taxi with driver for a longer period. Warsaw has cheap, safe and reliable public transport (metro, trams, buses) and the city is quite walkable. Most young and educated people speak English and you should not have any problems communicating.

Some taxi drivers speak some English or other languages, others don't. Those waiting at the airport usually know some English phrases.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English speaking taxi driver

ditto Krakow...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English speaking taxi driver

I mean for a whole day or more. Because i don't speak Polish, i need someone who is willing to help me ask local people questions in suburbs outside of Warsaw like Milanovek, Milanov,Otwock, Suchedniow near Radom etc.

When traveling to areas near Radom or Suchedniow, or Otwock for example, should I just use public transport to get there, then try find a taxi drive at the station who speaks English?

Thanks for your help.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: English speaking taxi driver

I think in Milanovek, Radom, Otwock and so on, people speak English as good as in Warsaw. There is no gap in the English skills between people who live in the capital of Poland and the suberbians. I would advice you to ask anyone for the best mean of transport in those cities and then, as you suggested, find a taxi driver.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English speaking taxi driver

Avoid the taxi touts in the airport at Warsaw (and probably other airports) as they will rip you off. Taxis are right outside the terminal at Warsaw. Best to write down (Print) your hotel address. There are a number of large taxi firms - ELE, MPT etc - that have English speaking people on the phones. They could probably fix you up with an English speaking driver. In Wroclaw I've used Partner Taxis and they have some drivers who speak English

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English speaking taxi driver

Going to places as Milanówek, Otwock or Radom is indeed more complicated as these towns/suburbs are not visited by foreigners at all. And there are differences in English skills: people at these places usually do not have contact with non Polish speakers.

You can get to most suburbs by local train (SKM, Koleje Mazowieckie). Also Radom has frequent train connections. However, it might be difficult to find your way there as those towns have a lack of tourist infrastructure. If you intend to visit more remote places and talk to people, it could be better to hire a taxi. Unfortunately, I don't know any companies but probably some tour operators are willing to help you. Just browse the forum a bit for recommendations.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English speaking taxi driver

Did you get an English speaking driver? What was your experience.? We also want to go to a small village 50 miles north of Warsaw to look at churches, cemeteries, etc. for genealogy purposes. Our travel agent can connect us with reliable service, but it will cost $590 a day for the two of us. That is higher they we want to pay. Appreciate your suggestions.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English speaking taxi driver

Hi Treehouser,

I got lucky and met someone in the US who connected me with friends in Poland who helped. I did catch local trains though - best to ask at your hotel for help as the smaller lines can be tricky. I did use a taxi driver in some of the towns but sure I wrote out where I wanted to go in Polish before I left.. Yes there are people who offer trips and genealogy services, but they are expensive. $590 sounds very high. I was quoted more like $350 for a day.

9. Re: English speaking taxi driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Warsaw