We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Which Warsaw hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Ok..this was purely a last minute decision! With the long Memorial Day Weekend here in the States, what better time to take a few days and revisit one of my favorite Cities?;-) Managed to get a great breakfast included deal via Starwood at the Bristol Meridien..booked my direct flight tickets on LOT r/t out of EWR.. and off I went;-)

LOT has a great late night flight out of EWR that departs around midnight arriving Warsaw around 2 in the afternoon..perfect;-) It's been a few years since I've been to Warsaw and was amazed at the marvelous, new and convenient terminal! I don't speak Polish..but can get by having had numerous trips to the Country under my belt as well as a 3-month stint back in the 90's..and this time around found lots more folks speaking English..although I always enjoy tossing in my Polish ' thank you' and 'please' at every opportunity..and it was always appreciated;-)

Pretty lagged and excited at the same time..found my way past the touts and made it to the cab line! How wonderful to see the pedestrianized area at the Bristol leading to the Old Town! I told you it's been a while..lol! The weather was absolutely perfect this weekend..the sun was out..along with throngs of folks taking in my favorite part of Town..the Old Town! It was almost like there was music everywhere..from Street musicians to full bands..the aura was vibrant..and happy;-)

I of course enjoyed taking in some fabulous food..my faves being red borscht and pierogies..don't know if I like the Russian potato and cheese or the cabbage/mushroom ones better;-) Here in the NYC area, there's a neighborhood called Greenpoint where you can find anything/everythig Polish..but like anywhere, nothing like eating food IN the Country made with local ingredients..I was totally into each and every slurp and bite;-)

One thing I did notice..and I don't know how I avoided it..kept telling myself I have to try that 'tomorrow'..these snack places serving what looked like a waffle totally smothered/topped with whip cream! It looked amazing and there were folks lined up to get these everywhere they were served! OK..next time I'll indulge;-)

Totally being into Greece, I love the coffee culture..outdoor scene.. sitting and doing some people watching..the pedestrianized stretch there offered some of the very best! And just to note..most of my previous trips were off season in Winter so didn't get much of an opportunity to sit outside..this was a treat with the magnificent weather;-)

I didn't really meandor about much..I stuck to what I knew from past adventures that made me happy for the few days I was there;-) This was more an 'easygoing' kinda getaway for me..no stress to take in much..just a long weekend break to reflect and relax! I managed to do both..and another great first..the outdoor inner courtyard/garden at the Meridien was open and serving breakfast there..now that was really nice..especially being a smoker (don't yell ;-) nothing like lighting up with your morning coffee;-) The spread at the Bristol has always been one of my favorites..and couldn't get enough of the smoked trout, mackarel.. which I totally indulged in every breakfast with some of the best bread I've ever eaten..I wish I could buy some loaves and just brings them home with me;-)) The brown bread(s).. they had a variety..were absolutely mouthwatering!!

Anyway, I got some great, typical/standard souvvie shopping done in the Old Town.. you know, the regular 'little things' that make for great gifts as well.. everything from magnets to babushka key chains! I did, though, manage to nail some beautiful crystal wine glasses..all 6 made it home in one piece in my hand luggage.. gratefully;-)

One huge change I noticed on my flight home..I could buy DF items I wasn't allowed before flying back to NYC! I usually stock up on after tanning lotions (I'm a beach bum at heart!) and was so glad I could now purchase the larger quantities..always difficult to even find them in the small allowable quantity!! And no tagging the bag to pick up at gate..they just put the purchases in a bag..no taping or sealing..and handed it to me..piece of cake;-)

I got to totally take in the last day since the flight back home wasn't till 5:30p..so had a great morning/early afternoon wandering around.again passing that 'waffle' place and telling myself..last chance girl..lol!! Oh well, like I said..next time;-) Opted for a glass of wine at a wonderful outdoor place right next to the Kino something movie house there on the 'zone';-) Had a great flight home taking about 8.5 hours..and most important..great new memories and experiences and so thankful I made the choice and went for it.. last minute! I oftentimes find it's those impromptu choices that make for the best adventures;-)

Thanks to all the wonderful DEs and regular (and non regular for that matter!) contributors here for all the wonderful insight and info.. I don't regularly post here..you'll usually find me over in the 'Greece Forum'..but do stay tuned reading here and just wanted to share this with all of you! And for those of you even considering a great long 'weekend' getaway..although it's a distance for sure (at least from here in the States, there are offers to Paris, London, etc..) don't dismiss Warsaw! It's an amazing City that has loads to offer.. and the history to go with it;-)

Oh well! This is longer than I thought it would be..lol!! The report, unlike the trip..is not too short;-)) Enjoy all!

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Thank you for your great TR! I'm so glad you had some good time in here :)

If I understand your description well, those waffles are called "gofry" and actually they came to Poland from Belgium or some other country. They are sweet and some years ago they were mostly served in our sea resorts :)

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Thank you for your great trip report, for revisiting Warsaw and your interest in Poland.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Hey Litsa,

I loved your TR. I'm thinking I may need a visit to Warsaw. Is May usually the best time to vist - weather-wise. As you know from the Greece forum, I am a major "foodie". Please tell me about borscht and pierogies.

Many thanks,

Karen

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

GreecefanOttawa, you can read the following threads to learn more about Polish traditional dishes (so you won't be surprised):

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274736-i6698-k4… (posts #3 and #4)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274772-i961-k52…

Smacznego! ("bon appétit" in Polish)

Edited: 31 May 2012, 09:16
Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Thank you Rocking! I'll check that out.

Karen

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

A big Thank you to YOU guys..for taking the time to read;-) rocking_pony, you nailed it..it was gofry! Here in the States (at least in NYC) we have 'Belgian Waffle' places.. but have never seen anything look as tempting as the ones I saw in Warsaw;-)

FrequentTraveller22, I've visited about a dozen times now since the 90's..have been to Krakow..absolutely love Wroclaw, Poznan.. but Warsaw holds a special place in my heart..maybe because I've spent most of my time there..regardless, it was enough to make me return for a weekend break;-)

Karen..you're definitely in for a treat foodwise;-) Those great links provided pretty much cover it! When I did a 3-month stint back in the 90's..and it was predominently Winter from Feb to early May..I couldn't get enough keilbasi (was a meat eater then;-) I ended up absolutely loving..and in the WIntertime, couldn't get enough of a soup called flaki! I had NO idea what I was eating..lol!! Couldn't get an accurate translation at the time but I knew it had meat in it.. no clue as to 'what' meat though..all I knew was that it was absolutely delicious and perfect on a cold/snowy day;-) I finally ended up finding out what it was when I got back home.. tripe!! Yikes, I freaked when I found out!! Similar to Greek 'patsa' if you know what that is..and I have never even gone near that..lol!! Nonetheless, looks totally different than the Greek version..don't know what spices they use for the flaki, but it was practically a daily meal for me while there..SO good;-)

You'll find pierogies everywhere..chances are you'll find them in your hometown somewhere as well if there's a Polish nabe or restaurant close-by...but again, taste nothing like the ones in Poland make with local ingredients;-) Get the 'sampler' plate..since I don't eat meat these days, I just told the gal to bring me just the cabbage/mushroom and russian ones that have cheese and potatoes..talk about heaven;-) And speaking of potatoes, I never thought 'boiled potatoes' could taste so good..really! I'd guess borscht is pretty popular and easy enough to find practically anywhere these days.. but again, you can't compare when made with local beets and those amazing spices;-)

Off for a second cup of java here;-) Getting back into 'zone' ~ sigh! Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to read..keep enjoyin'!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Thank you so much for your trip report. I will be visiting for the first time in December so I am enjoying the reports. I do have a question though. Where did you buy your crystal wine glasses at? I love souvenirs like that because I can display them and use them, it's a two for one deal, lol.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Hi Peper81, I don't know where Litsa bought her crystal glasses, but may I recommend you a famous Polish brand called Krosno (http://www.krosno.com.pl/en/). There are several shops that are certified to sell their products in Warsaw and there are two which are pretty much in the city centre: one at Senatorska 24, between Plac Bankowy metro station and the National Theatre, and the other one at Piękna 28/34, just next to Plac Konstytucji.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Thanks Pawel. I will jot that down and take a look when I go in December. I appreciate it so much!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Short and Sweet' Trip Report;-)

Hey Peper81:-) There's a shop in the Old Town called Marysienka.. located off Rynek Square IN the Old Town.. at 7 Szeroki Dunaj Street;) There are LOTS od souvvie shops in the area.. many sell the crystal wine glasses.. all shapes, sizes and designs! I found this particular shop back in the 90's when first there! Every time I am in Town, I always stop by.. they have everything in there.. this was the first time I noticed the wine glasses beautifully displayed on glass shelves..they really caught my eye.. loved the design on this particular set..and they were smal.. a perfect sizel.. not the huge ones which I personally do not like;-) The set of 6 came packed in a box which I put in hand luggage.. just to make sure;-) I use them daily here.. and will try not to break any;-)) I've bought crystal wine glasses before in both Ireland and Poland and managed to break every one..lol!! Will be very careful with these.. love 'em;-)

In December you'll find some magnificent seasonal/holiday themed items.. from georgeous tree ornaments to wooden boxes.. and of course, you'll find Amber everywhere! It'll be cold.. dress in layers especially when you're out and about Town..it's a wonderful time to be there;-) Glad you enjoyed the report.. now it's your turn .. to Enjoy!!