We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash vs ATMs

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Cash vs ATMs

In Warsaw in July. Is it better to bring American cash or use ATMs? I've had problems with American credit cards not having the newer chips in other European countries.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash vs ATMs

Hey neighbor:) Was just there over Memorial Day Weekend..ATMs work just fine..and you'll get the best exchange rate as well;-) Found changing USD in Warsaw was a bit of a challenge to get good rate at the kantors, etc.. Debit Card via ATM is the way to go;-) Have fun..and EnjoY!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash vs ATMs

I agree, ATMs are probably the easiest way to go, and the rates aren't usually that bad. Just make sure you have one of the widely accepted cards such as VISA, VISA Electron, Maestro or Mastercard.

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash vs ATMs

OK, ATMs it is. One more question. Is there a reputable bank ATM in the airport? I've had problems with ATMs in UK airports and large fees that were not obvious to me

New Jersey
Level Contributor
776 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash vs ATMs

Hi Litsa

Hope you enjoyed your trip! I will be there in September.

Your other neighbor.

Gbow

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash vs ATMs

Hey Gbow:-) Good to see you here! Am sure you will totally Enjoy! FWIW, just spent a few days in your beautiful neck of the woods at the shore;-)

As far as which banks ATM, I didn't take notice..lol!! I just head to one when I see one at airports and go from there! Keep enjoyin' all!

Little River, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash vs ATMs

I have a trip planned for mid August.. Will be bringing both debit and CC just in case.. What is the best way to go? Daughter who is there now will be helping me with any issues.

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash vs ATMs

We just returned. If you want the best exchange rate, cash is still king if you are careful. There are kantors everywhere, but the exchange rates vary quite a lot. It's vacation, chasing the best rate is too much time. Know what you'll take. We were getting 3.35-3.45 for dollars to zloty without too much effort. We saw rates as low as 2.7 in touristy areas such as old town Warsaw.

We did some ATM exchanges. With my bank, there's a transaction fee which turned a winner to a loser unless we exchanged a lot at one interaction. We used it at the airport on arrival and for a small exchange for a last purchase in Krakow. Both were losers by exchange rates, but the total dollar cost wasn't enough to worry about.

New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash vs ATMs

I'm just back and have one curiousity question. When using a credit card and a debit card ar an ATM, I was asked whether I wanted to be charged in dollars or PLN. It didn't seem to make a difference at the end, but the dollars ones came with a receipt obviously written by a lwayer.

Can someone explain the difference?

9. Re: Cash vs ATMs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Warsaw