We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
968 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

I'm planning a trip between Warsaw and Krakow by train.

The TLK trains are cheaper than the EIC. They both take around 3 hours non-stop.

But I am concerned about the difference in comfort and cleanliness.

How does FIRST CLASS TLK compare with EIC....first or second class ???

Thank you.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

EIC (click on 'więcej' to see pictures)

intercity.pl/pl/…

TLK:

intercity.pl/pl/…

In terms of cleanliness all are comparable. Note that not all TLK trains take 3 hours - some take 5 and are not non stop so be careful which departure you choose.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 07:44
Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

I would take TLK, this is only a 3-hour journey so you really won't even notice the difference in comfort. Just remember what Ozzlem wrote above about those longer connections and mind that not all trains have a restaurant/bar car.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
968 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

Thank you, Ozzlem and rockingpony, for taking the time for this helpful advice. I appreciate the links to the photos and the caution about the TLK. I do see that some of the TLK trains take longer.

Thanks again.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

I do not agree that there is no difference in comfort and cleanliness. My experience with TLK trains has never been a good one. 1st class TLK is comparable to 2nd class EIC, still TLK cars and compartments can look older and used.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
968 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

Thanks, FT22..

my concern is that I might need to travel on a Sunday when fewer EIC trains run and the TLK would better fit into my plans for that day.

I was just wondering about what to expect should I need to take the TLK train.

Thanks again.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

Do not let people scare you off the TLK trains. They are not bad or dirty (they are cleaned on a regular basis just as the EIC), just old-looking and a bit of a mixed bag of old (the 8-seat second class compartments) and new carriages. Hence the lower price - the standard is not consistent. Somehow I always manage to get a seat in a spacious brand new compartmentless carriage. But as these carriages are popular that usually involves buying in advance thorough the intercity website (it gives you a choice of seating type). You can also just buy first class (6-seat compartments). Personally I see no point in agonizing over type of train for such a short journey.

You can also take a flight with LOT/Eurolot. I do not know when you will be going but I've checked a couple of dates in July-September and can see plenty tickets for 122PLN.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

It's not that I want to scare people but I have really had some unpleasant trips on TLK trains (however, mainly between small provincial cities). The compartments can be hit or miss but the washrooms are usually dirty and the whole experience can be painful. Once I had to stand 3 hours in a toilet with 2 other people.....

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

As far as I know all TLK trains and seating classes are now subject to seat reservation. If all seats have sold out you will be informed about it and choose another train. There is no more standing in the toilets unless this is what you want to do.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

Yeah, times have changed, thank goddess. As Ozzlem wrote, there are seat reservations (obligatory) on TLK trains, if your train if full you may be given an option of buying a ticket without a seat reservation but I've heard that not always.

10. Re: TLK train vs. EIC Warsaw - Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:16