We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains and ice hockey

Which Warsaw hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Topic
Trains and ice hockey

Hi All,

We are traveling to Poland in mid January, arriving in Warsaw and then catching the train to Krakow 6 days later. As it will be the middle of winter school holidays ( or so I believe) should I buy the train tickets online a month in advance or will they still be available for purchasing at the ticketing office (let's say 5 days prior to travel). Planning to travel 1st class on a TLK train if that makes a difference.

Also, would love to take the family to an ice hockey game. I've had a quick look at the Torwar website with no luck. Any games happening in Warsaw between 20-25 January and /or 1-5 February? Doesn't have to be top league, any local game will do.

Many thanks

Justine

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains and ice hockey

2-week winter school holidays in 2014 will be scheduled in the period between 20 January and 2 March depending on the region. It's not that all schools across Poland close at the same time. Ticket availability should not be a problem but then you never know. I always buy tickets online because it is just so much more convenient. All you have to do is to print it off and you are ready to go.

I know nothing about hokey, I afraid, but it looks like more is happening in the south of Poland (Krakow, Oświecim, Katowice etc) than in Warsaw. The last game I can see with the Warsaw team (Legia Warszawa) in Torwar is scheduled for December. Perhaps someone in the know will be able to say whether there will be more games in January and February (link #2 below).

sportstats.com/hockey/…

www.hokej.net/pl/i-liga/terminarzwyniki/91/

(games in Torwar under 'Lodowisko')

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains and ice hockey

Thank you Ozzlem,

I think I will purchase the tickets online, as you mention it's so much more convenient. I assume that if I buy 4, they will be in the same compartment!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains and ice hockey

I only buy one ticket at a time but I would not be so sure that they all will be in the same compartment, or next/near to each other in coach-style carriagies. I have heard about problems with that in the past. I do not know if they have been fixed or not. BTW, buying at a ticket office does not guarantee sitting together either. I have heard stories about bungling ticket clerks too.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains and ice hockey

I just did a mock booking on the intercity websites and it gave me seats with 4 consecutive numbers (2 window and 2 middle ones). Fingers crossed I will have the same luck when I do the actual booking!

Thanks for all your help

Justine

5. Re: Trains and ice hockey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 06:19