We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight train to Vienna

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
400 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
overnight train to Vienna

I am planning to travel on overnight train to Vienna during Easter. I have tried to play around the website on both polish Rail and OBB...

I have some questions I hope TA members can help me with :

1. Will this train be very crowded and noisy given that this should be a peak season for holidays

2. how many days in advance can I purchase the tickets

3. I have tried to play around the Polish website entering data and search, when prompt buy a ticket, it keeps giving me message "you have train 407 and other option" , when click OK it goes back to the screen for inputting data... :( , does it mean it is not available?

Thanks for any advice

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight train to Vienna

1/ What's the exact date? Easter is a family affair in Poland, people tend to travel before and after it, not many travel on Easter Sunday.

2/International trains out of Poland can be booked up to 60 days in advance

3/ Which Polish website? This train cannot be booked online on the Polish Railways website http://www.intercity.pl/en/

You can buy a ticket either at the station or from a reputable third-party agent like Polrail.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
400 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight train to Vienna

Hi Ozzlem, appreciate you getting back to me.

I am planning to travel on Monday April 21. I am worried if it will be too noisy and crowded.

I use the same website as your suggestion and when input 30 days in advance, an "expand" icon appear instead of "buy a ticket" , and when I input next week's date, it shows up the buy a ticket icon but when clicked it keeps going back to the previous screen, Does it mean seats on the overnight train has all already been taken and not available?

I am skeptical of getting my train ticket only when I am in warsaw as i like to plan ahead.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight train to Vienna

Noisy and crowded is the least of your worries. As Easter Monday could be a tricky day for rail travel, it may sell out completely. Unless you will be in Poland well before Easter and could buy at a station, I would suggest contacting Polrail.

As I said above - you CAN NOT buy tickets for this train on the intercity website. 'Expand' does not indicate seat availability (or lack thereof), it only gives a couple of extra details about the train. It appears for any departure that is too far in the future to book, and all international trains except Warszawa-Berlin and Gdynia-Berlin.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 07:31
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
400 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight train to Vienna

Hi Ozzlem.

I agreed third party agent is my best option... will enquire Polrail, thanks for your advice

5. Re: overnight train to Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:38
Get answers to your questions about Warsaw