We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prózna St, bikes and a balloon

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Prózna St, bikes and a balloon

Hi Warsaw experts,

I will be visiting the Polish capital in June for a few days and I hope you can answer some of my questions:

- I know there is or used to be a somewhat controversial exhibit in Prózna street, depicting a praying Hitler inside a courtyard. Does anyone know if it's still there? And I heard there's a lot of construction work going on in the street. Is Prózna still accessible or will the entire road be closed?

- I hope to rent a bike through Venturilo, but are there any specific rules/laws I should be aware of when biking in the city? For example, in case there are no designated bike lanes: should I bike on the street or on the sidewalk? I don't want to upset the locals ;)

- I would like to ride Stacja Balon, situated just east of the river. Has anyone done it before? I can't find much info about it. Do you think it will be busy in June? How many rides are there per hour? www.stacjabalon.pl/en/about-stacja-balon

Thanks for your help! I can't wait for my first visit to Warsaw (have only been to Gdansk before).

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prózna St, bikes and a balloon

Hi

Próżna is indeed under heavy reconstruction, there is only half of a sidewalk available on either side of the street. I don't know the official completion dates, to me it looks it'll take them a couple of weeks more to finish it.

The exhibition you mention was in 2012, I don't know what happened to it - but it is no longer there.

Regarding the bikes. There are some specific rules indeed. For the particular case you mention:

1. You can ride on the sidewalk when two of the three conditions are fulfilled:

- the sidewalk is at least 2m broad,

- there is no bike path / lane available,

- the maximum speed allowed on the street is more than 50 km per hour.

50 km per hour is the speed limit almost all of the streets in Warsaw, except for very few. Between 23 and 5 am the limit is raised to 60 km ph - so the 3rd condition is not met by default :)

2. You can also ride your bike on the pavement during a bad weather or when you accompany a minor under 10.

3. When riding on a sidewalk, you cannot ride your bike on pedestrian crossings - you must get off your bike and walk it towards the other side of the street (unless the bike crossing is available of course).

These rules are not followed too strictly, however people are getting more and more aware of them (I heard stories about people getting tickets e.g. for not observing rule #3).

Regarding the Stacja Balon - it's April now. The website is here: http://stacjabalon.pl/ - sorry, Polish only. But the very first news says they'll change the location, no details are available yet. They open in May.

It may be busy in June - but rather during sunny weekends. As we don't know the new location - it's hard to predict how it'll be in the new location...

Edited: 05 April 2014, 22:04
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
889 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prózna St, bikes and a balloon

Thanks a lot for your elaborate answer, macieii! Now I know what to expect :) Hopefully Próżna's renovation will be completed by June then. And I will keep checking Stacja Balon's website. I'm curious what their new location is gonna be. If they plan to open next month, I think more details will follow soon.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prózna St, bikes and a balloon

Waezk, also make sure you don't drink alcohol and ride a bike! laws on that in Poland are still among the strictest in Europe, despite the recent liberalization that took place a few months ago. It is not a mandatory prison sentence anymore but still the consequences are dire.

Also be careful when cycling on streets with no designated bike lanes/paths. Use middle of the lane as drivers will try to overtake you on the same lane otherwise (as in, if you try to keep to the right of the lane). By law, you are obliged to use a bike path but only one which is on your right hand side (often there are bike paths only on one side of the street but traffic on them goes both ways).

4. Re: Prózna St, bikes and a balloon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Warsaw
Recent Conversations