We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

Which Warsaw hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

Hello, we have just booked a long weekend in Poland in October. I have tried to put together some kind of itinerary, based on what I have read on the internet and also on tripadvisor.

Firstly, I would appreciate any suggestions to fill the gaps.

Secondly, does anyone know of a website where I can type in street names and see a map of the route? I would like to know how feasible it is to get to and from The Ice Bar to our hotel.

Thirdly, we really enjoy eating out so any great restaurants near to where we are staying would be appreciated.

The Itinerary:

Friday: fly into Warsaw from Copenhagen late afternoon

Spend Fri and Sat night at the SAS Radisson

Have a nice meal out somewhere near The Ice Bar so we can partake in a little vodka drinking afterwards in a unique environment.

Saturday: ??

Sunday: Get the train down to Krakow at 10.05am arriving 12.54pm

Spend Sun and Mon nights at RT Rezydent

Get the train at about 3.30pm to the Salt Mines in Wieliczka and return on the 7.20pm train.

Monday: we plan to visit Auschwitz, again travelling by train (9.05am train returning at 3.16pm). We plan to ask for a guide once we arrive.

Tuesday: return to Warsaw on the 1pm train to catch our evening flight home.

Essex
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

I've never been to Ice Bar but looking at the map I can say that it would take about 15-20 minutes walk from your hotel to the Bar.

Last time I was in Poland I went for a meal in 'Delicja Polska' - very nice Polish food (www.delicjapolska.pl). I would take a cab from Radisson - not the one outside hotel because it's a rip off - ask hotel staff to get one for you - you could also walk there if you want (25 min walk). After the meal you can easily walk from the restaurant to the Bar and then to the hotel.

manchester
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

Hi Ania55,

Thanks for the restaurant tip, I've bookmarked the website, looks lovely. The walk sounds fine, I've bought a rough guide to Poland since I posted so will have a map on hand and will hopefully find the restaurant/ice bar!

Thanks again.

M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

Hello!

Last December I did an almost identical trip to the one you have planned. We had one full day in Warsaw and set off early and managed to squeeze in all the main sights, The Royal Walk, The Old Town, The Castle, Warsaw Ghetto and the Museum of the Warsaw Uprising (bit of a walk but worth it) etc all on foot. The next morning before getting the 10.05 train to Krakow we went up to the top of the Palace of Science and Culture, it's next to Warsaw Centralna station and opens at 8am everyday so there's plenty of time and the view is fantastic.

Krakow was beautiful. We went for the full on tourist experience and ate at Chlopskie Jadlo (I think there's one next to your hotel) which has traditional polish food and rustic decor. There were lots of locals eating there as well as tourists and the food was great.

We took the bus to Oswiecim/Auschwitz from Krakow as it was quicker (90mins) and drops you at the entrance to the site. Also you don't need a guide at Auschwitz unless you really want one. When you arrive they have good maps/guide books etc. in all languages in the visitors centre. There is also a short film (15mins) which is worth seeing before you start - the English version is at 11am. The shuttle bus between Auschwitz and Birkenau should still be running as well in October otherwise it's a 2km walk.

We got the same train back to Warsaw at 1pm the next day but went down to Wawel Hill in Krakow to see the castle and the cathedral in the morning. Everything opens there about 9.30 so there's time - otherwise most of the museums open at about 10am in Krakow Old Town. The Czartoryski Museum is lovely.

Hope that was of some help - enjoy your trip!

Warsaw at the moment
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

Try this site: http://mapa.szukacz.pl/. At the right hand side in the "Pokaz na mapie" box, enter "Warszawa" in the "Miejscowosc" and the street name in the field below.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

Bathany: Take a "mini-bus" (van) to Wieliczka, instead of the train. It costs very little and drops you off right in front of the Salt Mine entrance. You would need to walk from the train station in Wieliczka, and the trains themselves are not the most pleasant experience. The same on the way back. The "mini-buses" run about every half an hour from the area near the bus station, close to the Old Town and your hotel, although I would check with the front desk as to where they leave from now (just yesterday they opened a huge shoppng mall near the tran/bus station, so things are all being rearranged). For Auschwitz, it might be worth it to get a tour, it costs only 120 PLN and the bus picks you up from your hotel, you have a guide en route to pinpoint things to you and it includes an English speaking guide at the Memorial as well. For Saturday, the best experience in Krakow is to hang around the Main market Square, try some restaurants: Wierzynek is tops, although expensive; Pod Krzyzykiem is really, really nice; Szara is superb, Cherubino is fun and delightful but Krakow has hundreds of wonderful places to eat, each with creative decor and excellent food. Also, take a night-time carriage ride (especially if you're going with significant other). Enjoy it!

6. Re: Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2006, 18:23
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

the Ice Bar is only a 10 minute walk from the Radisson, turn left onto Jana Pawla then right on to Prosta at Roundabout ONZ and the Ice Bar is about 200 metres on the left on Panska which is a small street parallel to Prosta ( I live close by).

The new uprising museum is a must - www.1944.pl , it's virtually on the same street as your hotel but about a 15 minute walk in the direction away from the city centre. Once you cross Towarowa it's the huge red brick building on the left.

For Polish food with traditional folk music in the evening try Folk Gospoda - http://www.folkgospoda.pl/witamy_e.html , but book in advance as it's packed at nights. Again on the same street as your hotel at the junction with Zelazna and about a 5 minute walk away.

manchester
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

Thanks Spoongirl for sharing information from your trip, I imagine we’ll be doing most of the things you did and will probably be opting to visit places on foot or by public transport. Sounds like you had a great trip, I’m really excited!

Drg303, that’s just what I was looking for – easy to use and can zoom in close! Much appreciated!

Unique_Destinations , I’d only looked into the trains so thanks for the bus tip. I can’t make up my mind about whether to get the tour or not at Auschwitz, I keep reading pro’s and con’s for this, I think we’ll probably wait and see and make up our minds when we get there.

Douglas B, great directions for Ice Bar thanks! This is a place I’d definitely like to see, though maybe not stay too long – a bar made of ice, crazy!! Thanks also for the website for the New Uprising Museum, we shall definitely put some time aside for that.

Thanks again to you all for your information and insight. I will definitely be checking out all your recommendations for places to eat – looking forwards to trying some authentic Polish food.

9. Re: Long weekend Warsaw/Krakow - Itinerary critique & questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 13:16