We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potential Itinerary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Potential Itinerary

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Slovenia in early Sept and have mapped out the following:

1) Travel from Munich to Lake Bled - stay 1 day

2) Bohinj & Triglav National Park - 2 or 3 days

3) Soca Valley - 1 day

4) Piran - 1 day

5) Move onto Croatia

Can anyone comment if our plans will work?

Can you travel from Munich, through Austria to Bled, or do you have to go to Ljublana first?

Since we are also heading to the Croatian coast, would it be a better idea to skip Piran and see the caves?

What is the best way to travel, we are considering a railpass as we will be coming from Germany and ending in Croatia. But from some of the posts I've seen, it might be better to rely on the bus system or even rent a car.

Thanks!

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Potential Itinerary

Cheers to my fellow Canadians!

Regina, Saskatchewan calling here.

Your itinerary sounds good!

If you decide to take the train, the express trains go straight through from Munich and Salzburg to Villach Austria to Ljubljana. So, from Ljubljana, you'd have to take another train to Bled-Lesce or find a train from Villach that stops in Bled-Lesce without going to Ljubljana.

I would recommend hiring a car either from Munich or once you reach Slovenia as places such as the Soca Valley are not easily accessible by public transport. If hiring a car, check for any restrictions for travelling between Germany\Austria and Slovenia, and between Slovenia and Croatia.

Now, back to your plans, it depends what you like doing. Bled is so beautiful you could spend days just sitting there admiring it but 1-2 days is enough to see the castle, take a pletna etc etc.

Don't miss the Vintgar Gorge though. It's an easy bike ride from Bled.

If you're into walking the trails then 2-3 days in Bohinj should be about right.

You'll need car to get over the Vrsic Pass to enter the Soca Valley (or there is a bus that goes over) but the views over the pass are unbelievable.

Once over, take a breather in Bovec and then let the Soca mesmerise you as it meanders down through Kobarid and Kanal. We recommend staying in Kobarid because of the top class dining there.

After that, you head through Nova Gorica and down to the coast. A nice detour is Stanjel before you hit the caves. Don't miss Postojna Caves and Predjama.

Sounds like a lot and it may be, but you may still have time to enjoy the evening and next day in Piran, the Venice of Slovenia (without the canals).

From there, it's 30 minutes to Croatia.

We can help you with tours or more advice if you need it. Drop us a line at gregkodric@optusnet.com.au.

Cheers

Ronalee "The Australian\Slovene Canuck."

Dovje, Slovenia
Level Contributor
322 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potential Itinerary

just a note... i believe EVERY international train between Munich and Ljubljana also stops at the train station Lesce-Bled, so there is no need to go to Ljubljana or to catch a proper train in Villach.

From Bled to Bovec (Soča valley) you have two options with public transport. Either a train to Most na Soči and then bus to Bovec. Or, alternatively, more scenic route via Vršič pass. There is ONE direct bus from Bled at 16:07, and it arrives approx. 3 hours later to Bovec (you can get off at any other bus station in Soča valley, down to Kobarid or Nova gorica). From Kranjska gora (40km away from Bled) you have more choice of buses to Bovec (5 per day).

However, as you would be able to do it with public transport, i would still recommend to rent a car (maybe with different place drop-off). Drive from Bled to Bovec via Vrsic pass is scenic and beautiful, and you would be able to stop anytime you want and have some sidetrips.

From Bovec you would also need a car to get to Piran (to arrive in decent time, although with public transport is possible, but a bit complicated). Sidetrip could be Štanjel (as mentioned before), Škocjan cave (my preference over Postojna cave - also more in your way and less touristy), Lipica stud farm...

My suggestion would be... renting a car for 4-5 days. That will make you more flexible and would make it possible to do some sidetours off "public transport" routes. Yes, its more expensive, but also much more worthwhile. Last day you drop off the car in Koper / Portorož, depending on the agency. Beware that is sometimes difficult to rent or drop off cars on SUNDAYS (i heard complaints about Koper and Portoroz agencies)

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Potential Itinerary

As I know you have a bus to Bovec in the morning at 7.40h from LesceBled station!

But both buses operate only in July and August!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potential Itinerary

Thanks everyone for the help. It looks like a railpass wouldn't be worth it for where we want to travel.

If we do decide to rent a car, is it a problem to just arrange it once we are there, or should we reserve online? We are going to try to go direct to Bled from Munich, and then would need the car for mid-afternoon the next day.

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potential Itinerary

Just one suggestion for your itinerary.

As you're going to be in the Bohinj area before moving on to Soca Valley where your time is limited, consider the car train from Bohinjska Bistrica. You stay in your car on open top wagons for an interesting and scenic journey. Alternative will be quite a long drive back through Bled and on to Kranjska Gora - although that route does take in the Vrsic Pass which is spectacular. Can't track down an on line timetable for the car train but I think there are 2-3 trains daily. Tourist office in Bled or Bohinj would be able to advise.

I'd book car hire in advance : www.arguscarhire.com always works for me. For price comparison, try www.budget.si . Budget have an office in Bled. As I think someone else mentioned, check if any additional charges for taking the car into Croatia.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Potential Itinerary

Everything I have read says that you should book your rental car in advance. The guide books all say that prices in Europe are higher than those available when you book from North America.

Keep in mind that if you rent the car in one country and return it in another, there will be a (probably large) fee--the quotes I've seen, depending on distance, are usually a few hundred dollars. However, if you pick up and drop off at 2 different locations in the same country, fees don't seem to be bad for most companies--some have no fees for this.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Potential Itinerary

#1 train from Munich to Lake Bled. walk up castle and then around lake Bled. (sleep Bled)

#2 pickup car, drive to Lake Bohinj, waterfall hike, back to bled, visit Vintgar gorge. (sleep Bled)

#3 drive to expressway towards Austria, then turn West ward to climb up 50 hairpin turn up Triglav NP. Then towards Soca Valley. (Sleep any town in Soca Valley)

#4. (Sleep soca valley)

#5. Drive & visit Skocjan Cave, then to Koper. return car (sleep Koper)

*must confirm whether the car agency is open on the day. If not, return next morning.

If you plan to go to Croatia and then route back to Slovenia, then do not need to return car, instead, after Skocjan Cave, drive directly to Piren and either sleep in Piran or continue and sleep in Rovjin.

8. Re: Potential Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 05:17