We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing Border with Rail

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing Border with Rail

If i was to travel from Croatia to Slovenia going by train? is there any immigration to pass or is it open border?

thanks

Washington/UK...
Level Contributor
807 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

You will have passport control because Croatia is not in EU and Schengen zone.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

I would be heading to the capital of Slovenia from Zagreb Croatia

where would be passport control?

at the station in Slovenia? or at border?

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

No! Croatian control may be at the train entering in Zagreb! EU-Slovene control on the train, while driving! Dobova is a border station!

Ballarat
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

I am interested in your journey, what happened with the border control? I am assuming that you had to show your passport, what else happens is it just a check or does it get stamped?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

If you are not an EU citizen, your passport gets stamped by the Slovenian police, not sure what the procedures on the Croatian side are. It's just like going through EU border control in a car or at the airport.

Ballarat
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

Sorry for the delay in replying! Thanks for the updates,I'm looking forward to the stamp but sometimes I have heard that this does not happen, why is that?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

It depends on where you are from, Europeans generally wouldn't get their passport stamped. Others probably would, at least it is a good idea as it might be a problem if you don't have an entry stamp when exiting a country.

Reggio nell Emilia...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

my friend iscroatian and he just crossed the slovenian border last week going to italy...but the police put forbidden to entry in his passport because they said he crossed the border several times this year, they got him interrogated but found nothing..my question is can he still go to other EU countries like Italy (where his family is) or to France before the year ends, you know its Christmas...can he use the ship or plane just to avoid the Slovenian border?i will really appreciate for your prompt and honest answer, thanks...

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

If I understand correctly, he was refused because he stayed in the Schengen Area for more than 90 days in a 180-day period. In this case, he will be refused entry at any Schengen border crossing (be it Slovenia, France or Italy, the system is the same everywhere) until the 180 days run out.

10. Re: Crossing Border with Rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2012, 10:15