We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's a Fair way to split costs?

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What's a Fair way to split costs?

My family including two 14 year old kids will travel to Europe next summer for a month. My sister usually comes along but this time we are not sure how to split the cost fairly. Usually we only bring our daughter and do a 2/3, 1/3 split this time we are bringing her friend also. We usually do a group expense pot in which we put $275 dollars in for every $100 she puts in. My sister is no longer sure this is fair because our daughter is older. I feel it's fair because being 14 she doesn't drink alcohol and my sister likes to quit a bit. I also feel that because my sister contributes nothing to the planning, my husband and I do it all she just shows up with her bag (by choice), we do all the driving, navigating etc.. when there, we think this counts for something. What would be a fair way to split this?

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's a Fair way to split costs?

What I'd do is group expenses and something like this:

- travelling to/from Europe. Should be pretty easy to work this out. If you can only get the price for a group, divide it by number of people equally.

- travelling around Europe. If you will be using public transport, you should be able to follow the costs pretty easily. If you'll hire a car, add up the rent, gas and tolls and again divide them by number of people.

- accommodation. I assume your sis and her friend will share a room so they should pay for it. End of story.

- eating out. First split the bill down to alcohol and everything else. Pay 1/2 of the alcohol and 2/3 of the rest. That is if you don't want to go Dutch on it. Which would be fine to and more fair :)

Basically, it should be pretty easy for you to track the expenses accurately. The only question here is, how accurate do you want to be. As far as the planning, navigating etc. goes. If you think that is worth something, just ask her for it in advance. Be it $50, $200 or $2000.

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's a Fair way to split costs?

Invite your sister, than you dont need to split!

3. Re: What's a Fair way to split costs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 07:17