We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slovenia in 5-6 days

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Slovenia in 5-6 days

Hi there,

Myself and a group of friends are planning to travel around Slovenia for 5 or 6 days. I was just wanting some tips on what highlights we could realistically see in this time? We want to see Lake Bled, Lake Bohinj, the Postojna caves and do some hiking as well. Is there anywhere else that are must sees there? Is the best way to see Slovenia by car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Kerri

Mentioned in this post
Lake Bohinj
Lake Bohinj
967 Reviews
Slovenia
Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

Its depend where will be your base! Slovenia is not big, distances are not more as 100miles. Ljubljana is central, but LakeBled is good for start several trips too.

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

Hi Kerri

Having a car would certainly make getting around easier, although it is possible by bus and train too, but it can sometimes mean long waits for connections or having to go at inconvenient times.

You are right in that the main things you shouldn't miss are Bled, Lake Bohinj, the caves (either Postojna or Skocjan) - perhaps also the coastal town of Piran and the centre of Ljubljana too.

If you are interested in hiking then Bled would be quite a good place to base yourself. Or even here in Radovljica where I live, which is just 7km from Bled. We have the Julian Alps to the south and the Karavanke to the north. I have written quite a lot about my various hiking trips and what to do and see in this area on my blog which you might be interested in reading to give you some ideas - http://adeleinslovenia.wordpress.com/

Good luck with your planning and feel free to ask more if needed.

Adele

Mentioned in this post
Lake Bohinj
Lake Bohinj
967 Reviews
Slovenia
Julian Alps
Julian Alps
21 Reviews
Slovenia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

Hi Adele,

Thanks alot for your suggestions. So would you suggest to fly into Ljubljana and start our trip from there? (We will be all flying in from different places). I think we are best to get a car like you said, you see more scenery then too. So with those places I suggested in mind, where would you say is best for us to stay when we go to see these places if we have 5 or 6 days. Are the Julian Alps far to go and see?

I look forward to your reply.

Kerri :)

Mentioned in this post
Julian Alps
Julian Alps
21 Reviews
Slovenia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

Also, we will be in Slovenia from the 27th to the 3rd October, would this be okay to do some hikes in Bled and Julian Alps. We don't want anything to extreme, but are definitely keen for some hiking for sure :)

Mentioned in this post
Julian Alps
Julian Alps
21 Reviews
Slovenia
Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

Hi Kerri

Yes it would,probably be best if you would all fly into Ljubljana, since this is the currently the only option in Slovenia although you could also consider possibilities such as flying into Trieste in Italy or to Klagenfurt in Austria, both of which are only an hour away from Ljubljana - it depends where you are flying from and ease of transfers etc.

Your message above says '27th to 3rd October' - do you mean by that from 27th September to 3rd October? If so, then that should be fine for hiking, there shouldn't be any snow then (please god no!) and also its a nice time to hike because of the autumn colours, less crowds and not so hot.

The Julian Alps and right on the doorstep of the Bled and Radovljica area so there are plenty of possibilities for hiking. I'd recommend going to Bohinj and doing some of the hikes up from there e.g. to the 7 Triglav Lakes area, or for something easier just up to Vogar for amazing views down over the lake.

Pokljuka is another great place to go hiking and again is easily reached from Bled.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Klagenfurt
Klagenfurt
Carinthia, Austria
Austria
Austria
Europe
Julian Alps
Julian Alps
21 Reviews
Slovenia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

Hi Adele,

That's great thankyou, that really helps! So my last question is, with the 5 or 6 days we have, and the places we want to see, where would you recommend that we stay overnight?

What cities should we stay in?

Cheers

Kerri :)

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

Just came back from Slovenia and Croatia. We spent 3 days in Lake Bled and 3 days in Ljubljana. We did not have a car, but took two worthwhile tours. The 3 Glav River Tour, out of Bled, was from 8 to 8. They took us all throughout the mountains and white water rafting on the Soca River. This really allowed us to see more than we could have on our own. Bled is beautiful and full of attractions, but very built up. If you like nature, look into Lake Bohinj.

In Ljubljana, we went with Roundabout tours (almost 12 hrs also). We had a private driver take us to both caves, for a Pruciutto and wine tasting, for a quick look at the famous horses and to a nice old fishing village, Piran (now vacation spot on the cost). LOVED Slovenia (ages 48, 42, 16, 14).

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Lake Bohinj
Lake Bohinj
967 Reviews
Slovenia
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

Dear Kerri:

I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip! I suggest you look up Slovenia Explorer. They are a wonderful guide service located in Ljubljana that can tailor your trip to your needs and fitness level that your group may require. Www.Slovenia-Explorer.com. We found them to be very professional, reasonably priced and flexible so we didn't feel like we were on a regimented tour. Ljubljana is a great charming city to start from. They have buses that leave from the city every hour on the hour to lake Bled if you would like to do that portion on your own without a car. Lake Bled is simply beautiful but can be done in one day. There is a tourist center in the three bridges pedestrian area of Ljubljana where you can grab a map and information of the town as well as the country.

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

Hi Kerri

It really depends whether you would prefer to be based in one place or don't mind moving. As Slovenia is small, it's perfectly doable to stay in one place e.g. Bled or Ljubljana, and then make day trips to all the places you want to see.

10. Re: Slovenia in 5-6 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 05:17