We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vignette "tax"

Montreal
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Vignette "tax"

I was unaware of the need to purchase a vignette in Slovenia and was "taxed" 150€ fine today in Slovenia. My fault...I was unaware of a law regarding the need for vignettes.

This I can guarantee...I loved the countryside in Slovenia and considered returning there for an extended holiday. After today's experience, I will never spend a dime in Slovenia again. No hotel, no restaurant...nothing.

And every time I am asked about my recent trip thru Eastern Europe, I will tell everyone I know to avoid Slovenia as its national institutions are thieves, preying on unsuspecting tourists. Everyone I know will get a vision of how horrible the "System" is with vignettes.

I will write about my experience in Slovenia on any public forum discussing the matter, for YEARS and will never stop my vitriol and distaste for the experience I had being "shaken down" like I was.

I hope Slovenia enjoys my 150€ revenue. I will extract 150€ in bad publicity from Svenia for many years to come.

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vignette "tax"

If you would go to Swizzerland, Austria, and many other countries, who have toll system such as in Slovenia, will happen the same.

I see, you are not only one time on TA. Here are many posts about vignette. Unfortunately you didnt read no one.

The same but in other case, I payed years ago in Austria 130€. But for Austria I have only good words. I was giddy by myself like you.

I dont know what kind of cars you had. May should your rent a car company inform you.

I advice you better be honest, fair and think over, and forget it. It will be not the end of the world, and many tourist who like Slovenia, will say, you are......

Edited: 02 August 2013, 09:05
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vignette "tax"

Are you serious? Same rules apply for everyone - tourist or not - if you want to use the highway system, you have to pay for it. What did you expect, while not respecting the law, a friendly pat on the back? Would you be as offended, if you had received a 150 € ticket for driving to fast?

There is a HUGE sign, that indicate the use of vignette in at least 3 languages, on each and every border crossing with Slovenia. I am sorry, but if you were able to miss that, maybe you shouldn't be driving.

I do a lot of car travelling and the first thing I do before entering a country I've never been to before, I inform myself about their toll system - maybe you should try it too sometimes...

This is ridiculous... It is as if I would get a parking ticket in Montreal and then label Canada as an unfriendly and evil country because of my own stupidity. I mean really...

Edited: 02 August 2013, 09:31
Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vignette "tax"

I have to agree with the above posters, you reaction does seem a bit extreme. It is fairly common practice in Europe to have either a vignette or a toll system and it is also common practice to acquaint yourself with what is necessary when travelling abroad.

You can't, and shouldn't, judge the whole country and all its people just by your one experience. But if you wish to remain bitter and shout about it then so be it, but I doubt many people will listen.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vignette "tax"

Given the abundance of information on this subject in guidebooks and online (this forum included), the large quantity of signage in Slovenia and on the approaches to the country, I am quite frankly surprised this oversight resulted in such a reaction. I understand it is difficult when one receives a fine for any reason, but surely you cannot accuse anyone of preying on unsuspecting tourists, given that this is a well-known type of toll collection used by a number of European countries, there is ample warning and had you done any research on driving in Slovenia, this would have been among the first things you would have found out.

Logatec, Slovenia
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vignette "tax"

You are an idiot, that's all. Vignette system has been in place since 1 July 2008, not from 1 August 2013. Listed on every site regarding travelling/driving in Slovenia, can be bought in many places, including neighbor country's petrol stations. You paid a fine, cause you broke a law, same as you would in Austria, Switzerland or your home country Canada and you wouldn't bit*h around if that happened there, BUT because it happened in "Eastern Europe" its of course a "scam"/tourist trap etc..

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vignette "tax"

Not only is this guy an idiot but also a hypocrite, I have just read one of his previous comments on tripadvisor and I would like him to follow his own advice and words to others,

on April 8th 2013 He wrote

'This is simply a case of you needing to be informed before you go. Read the vouchers, communicate any questions you may have promptly so as to avoid surprises.'

Just like to say ditto to you Mr

Montreal
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vignette "tax"

I figured I'd get this sort of reaction from others and that's ok, the more responses the better as this topic will get more indexation and future potential visitors will trip across this forum and perhaps be dissuaded from visiting Slovenia and encouraging the Slovenian institutions of collecting this form of tax from travellers. Perhaps even better still, some members of the Slovenian tourist board will read this and other similar topics and introduce debate into their society about reforming this practice to be fair to the unsuspecting public.

In my defence, when I arrived in Slovenia there was no sign and no mention anywhere of a need to purchase a "vignette" we arrived on a country road and the only stretch of highway we were on unlawfully was on the way out of the country. A total of about 3 Kim's.

As I was pulled over, we were amongst a group of several other cars, all with foreign plates, all being told the same spiel, "you are driving unlawfully on our highways."

I have driven all over the world and everywhere where the highways require tolls, there is a toll both with someone holding his hand out. In Slovenia (and other Eastern European countries) the onus is on the driver to do the state's job of collecting a toll.

Slovenia is just backward, requiring an archaic form of toll payment that is inefficient and mal informed and difficult for foreigners to understand In order to extract huge fines from unsuspecting tourists that don't know better. It's a state sponsored "scam", plain and simple.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vignette "tax"

Oh dear I don't even know where to begin...

More indexation? I'm afraid your attempt will not be very successful, this issue has been discussed here at length (use the search tool if you don't believe me) and every few months there is an "offended" tourist posting here trying to sound as if a terrible injustice has been done because he didn't think getting acquainted with the specifics of driving in a certain country beforehand was very important and because it's a backward country that no-one has heard of, so it must be a scam to get the foreigners' money!

Had you actually bothered to check the driving section of the Slovenian Tourist Board's website, you would've known that they are fully aware of the situation and you would have avoided a hefty fine, so unfortunately your wish to introduce a debate in our society about reforming this unfair practice will not materialize, as a matter of fact Slovenian drivers represent the vast majority of revenues from these tolls, or did you really think we are so dependent on scamming foreign drivers?

I did quite like that bit where you added that this practice is used only in Slovenia and other Eastern European countries and even thought that says a lot about your attitude I have to say I am quite surprised you consider Switzerland and Austria to be Eastern European.

And finally, if a toll booth with someone's hand sticking out is what you consider a modern way of paying tolls, well you'll have to stay away from quite a few countries, where all they have is a little box you put in your car and guess what, the state doesn't put it there for you.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vignette "tax"

What a douchebag! People like you should't have the right to leave their cages... or reproduce for that matter.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vignette "tax"

Here are some helpful links for your future trips to civilized, uncorrupted, tourist-friendly Western Europe countries:

http://www.oeamtc.at/?id=2500%2C1373867%2C%2C

www.autobahnen.ch/index.php?lg=001&page=014

Do please bugger off and never return to my uncivilized country ...

Edited: 02 August 2013, 18:04