We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips vs moving around

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trips vs moving around

My partner and I are looking at going to Slovenia for a couple of days on our Europe trip. We will only have a couple of days there but love the look of all the beautiful castles and caves.

What is better to do base ourselves in one area and then do day trips everywhere? Is that possible? What's the transportation like? Or is better to travel from town to town and spend the night in different places? We don't know much about Slovenia which is pretty exciting cause it will all be an adventure. Also we not sure the best way to get there and then out to la Spezia in Italy!! All these decisions!!!!!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips vs moving around

Some of the Slovenian towns are reasonably well connected by public transport, for example Piran-Koper-Postojna-Ljubljana-Bled-Bohinj, Ljubljana-Maribor-Ptuj, Ljubljana-Kamnik, Ljubljana-Skofja loka, ...

But, it is almost impossible to get directly from Ljubljana to Predjama castle, to the Skocjan cave, or to some of the places in Logarska valley, most cities in Italy, ...

I recommend that you base yourselves in Ljubljana and do daytrips to some of the easy places. You may want to rent a car to see others.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips vs moving around

Thank you very much for your advice. We are only going to be there for 4 nights so think we will base ourselves in Ljubljana as you have suggested. I will have to have a look and see how much it will cost to hire a car for those days as we would want to try and see as much as we can while we are there and maybe our own car would best suit that. What would your top must sees be??

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
281 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips vs moving around

Hi, I always prefer to base myself in one city. I went to Predjame Castle and Postonja Cave. Had I been driving, I would've seen much more.

Have a great trip!

4. Re: Day trips vs moving around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 06:19