We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Slovenia in May

Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
Two weeks in Slovenia in May

Hi everyone, I'm planning to visit Slovenia this June. I have a couple of questions:

1. The focus of my trip would be getting close to nature and I would like some suggestions. So far, I'm interested in visiting Bled, Triglav National Park, Logar Valley and Waterfall Kozjak. Is that enough/too much/just right for two weeks? I'll most likely be flying in to Ljubljana from Paris, and flying out to London.

2. I will be travelling alone or with a friend, and won't be driving. Is it easy to get around without a car?

3. Is it difficult to find vegetarian food in general?

Thanks in advance!

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in Slovenia in May

Oops, I'm visiting Slovenia in JUNE, not May.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in Slovenia in May

It is a good plan. You can also visit the NW part of Slovenia (Bovec, Kobarid, ...) which is close to Bled, the caves and the Karst, the wine roads and the spas in the NE part of Slovenia, ...

Some parts of Slovenia are well connected by public transport. For example, there are frequent and cheap buses from Ljubljana to Bled/Bohinj, from Ljubljana to Maribor/Ptuj and from Ljubljana to Piran/Portoroz. However, getting to some remote parts of Slovenia may be difficult. Especially Logarska dolina may be a challenge.

There are several vegetarian restaurants in Ljubljana (Indian restaurants are probably the best choice). It may be more difficult to get a decent vegetarian food outside Ljubljana (most older Slovenians still consider that fried cheese and chips are the only possible vegetarian meal), but you certainly won't be hungry.

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in Slovenia in May

I went camping in Slovenia back in 2001--I loved it so much that I'm planning to go back next year and hoping it hasn't changed!. I'm the furthest thing from a vegetarian, but I do remember that even small towns tended to have an excellent pizzeria, and there are always good vegetarian options for pizza.

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in Slovenia in May

Thanks for the advice, MarjanJerman and CzechItalian!

Do I have to book train and bus tickets in advance, or can I just buy them on the spot? Is it cheaper if I book them in advance?

CzechItalian, is camping allowed anywhere, or did you have to apply for a permit?

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks in Slovenia in May

About camping. It's not allowed on public property, strictly forbidden in Triglav national park and when it comes to private property, you need to get owners permission.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks in Slovenia in May

Obviously there are plenty of campsites around the country where you can legally camp, however seeing as you'll be using public transportation, camping may not be the best option.

All domestic bus and train tickets don't have to be bought in advance, you can just buy them on the spot and the price is the same.

7. Re: Two weeks in Slovenia in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:19