We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

Ramat Gan, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

Hi,

We are planning 8 days trip to Slovenia and north Croatia, between May 30th and June 7th.

As of now the plan is:

Day 1: Landing at 6AM, taking the car and leaving towards Bled.

We want to see Lake Bled and Vintgar Gorge, and maybe on the way there go to Velika Planina or Volcji Potok (which one is better, if any?). Sleep in Bled.

Day 2: Ojstrica view point, Lake Bohinj, and Vogel or Mostnica. Sleep in Bled.

Day 3: The plan was to do Pericnik waterfall, Vrsic pass, Velika Korita Soca and Slap Kozjak. However I understand Vrsic is closed due to the weather. Should we take the car-train from Bohinjska Bistrica to Most na Soci?

Sleep in Kobarid.

Day 4: Tolmin Gorges, Smartno, Skocjan (is it scary if I have a bit fear of heights?). Sleep in Rovinj.

Day 5: Rovinj and maybe Porec. Sleep in Rovinj.

Day 6: Driving to Opatija via route 66, traveling in Opatija, driving to Korenica. Sleep in Korenica.

Day 7: Plitvice - route C (is it open?), and Slunj. Sleep in Rastoke.

Day 8: Driving to Ljublijana. Sleep in Ljublijana.

Day 9: Flight back home.

Do you think this is a good plan?

Do you know if any of the sights is closed due to the bad winter?

How is the weather in Slovenia at the moment?

Is there anything you wouldn't do on a rainy day?

And last question :) - which waterfalls/gorges do you think are the best? I tried to pick ~4.

Thanks!

Liat

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

Hi,

I will try to answer as many of your questions about Slovenia as I can.

It is possible that Vrsic will be open again by the time you came. We had a bad storm and a lot of rain and snow fell on Sunday/Monday but if it will warm up again quickly, then the snow will clear quickly. It is best to check again a few days before your trip. Anyway, even if it isn't open you can still do your planned itinerary but drive over the Predel Pass, via Italy, instead. You end up at the same place and there really isn't a lot of difference in terms of the length of the trip and there are also some interesting sights along the way, such as the Kluze Fortress.

Slap Kozjak is one of my favourite waterfalls, so you have chosen well :-) Also in that area is Slap Boka too.

Velika planina and Volcji potok are totally different things so it depends what you are most interested in.

Voljci potok is an arboretum, park, flowers - nice for a stroll around to look at the flowers etc.

Velika planina is a living, working highland. During the summer, the cattle graze and cheese, sour milk etc. is produced and sold. It is very beautiful and there are some nice walks around the highland too. Again, depending on the weather, there could still be snow there but probably not too much now as it isn't very high.

The weather here is a little cold and windy at the moment. Last week the temperatures were in the twenties but now a cold spell has appeared, with unstable weather, which looks like it will last at least a week, but again it could change by the time you get here.

Hope this helps!

Adele

Ramat Gan, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

Thank you Adele.

Is the Predel Pass more reccomanded that the auto-train to Most na Soci?

If so - should we buy a stamp to cross Italy with car?

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

You don't need to buy a vignette for driving into Italy to Predel, as you don't go on any motorways (I think that anyway they don't have a vignette system like in Austria and Slovenia).

You could always do both. Drive over Predel through the Soca valley to Most na Soci then take the car train back - saves driving both ways!

Ramat Gan, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

Thanks, but I'm driving to Rovinj from Tolmin, and not going back to Bled.

How is Istria, is Rovinj good choise, or is it better spending one more day in Bled area?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
701 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

In Sept.2013 we took the auto train and loved it.

Definitely go to Rovinj !

Whatever you do.......you WILL have fun.

Ramat Gan, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

Hi,

It seems to be raining a lot in the upcoming week.

I guess there will be no bathing in the rivers, as the water are too cold, right?

Which cloths are suitable for the current weather - are long shirts enough?

Thanks!

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

Unless you like VERY cold water, it will definitely be too cold for swimming in the lakes and rivers at the moment. At the moment it is very warm and dry and getting warmer each day. But last weekend was cool and cloudy so you should really bring some clothes for all weather - its a difficult time of the year to know what to pack.

Ramat Gan, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

Hi again,

Time is here :)

Will tomorrow be a good time to visit Velika planina, in terms of weather, and will the shepherds be there?

Otherwise we'll go straight to Bled area.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
204 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

The forecast is not the best for hiking: rain and thunderstorms are possible today and tomorrow. Rightmow the weather is not stable, so it is hard to predict it. I tried to see if cows are grazing already, but the webcam is not working:(

Ramat Gan, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slovenia and north Croatia - 8 days - plan and questions :)

Thanks!

Regarding the weather - is a coat necessary or is sweater enough for mornings/evenings/Skocjan cave?