We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Based in Ljubljana for 6 days

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Based in Ljubljana for 6 days

My wife and I will be based in for 6 days in July and are wondering what we can do in that time. We are actually staying out in a suburb of Ljubljana, a place called Medvode, and will be relying on public transport to get around. We plan to see the Old Town of Ljubljana, spend a day in Bled, visit the Postojna Cave and hopefully spend a day up in the Julian Alps if accessible by public transport. Any other 'must-see' places recommended and easy to get to by bus or train?

Thanks

John

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Based in Ljubljana for 6 days

It was probably not the best decision to stay at Medvode. It's a nice place, but there's nothing to see. You will have to commute to Ljubljana almost every day and it may become a chore. Also, combining a local bus to Ljubljana and a regional bus to one of the sites may be difficult. If possible, change your accommodation and stay somewhere close to the Ljubljana bus/train station.

Bled, Bohinj, Skofja loka, Kranj, Piran/Portoroz are all easy to do using public transport. Some other sites are a little more challenging or almost impossible. Postojna cave is possible if you are willing to do some walking, Skocjan caves are even more complicated. Buses to Logarska dolina, Trieste and Tolmin/Bovec region are scarce and it may be complicated to find an early departure and a late return. It is possible to visit one of our best spas (Olimje) by train.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
204 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Based in Ljubljana for 6 days

I agree: Medvode is not the best connected town. It has a train stop, but I'd suggest to either rent a car or try to find accommodation in Ljubljana. Slovenia does not have the best public transport in the world.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Based in Ljubljana for 6 days

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately we can't change the accommodation we have and it will give us an insight into normal everyday life in Slovenia so we are happy to stay where we are. We shan't be rushing too much so quite content to catch a local bus or train into the centre and then head off from there. Thanks for the advice on places to visit. Will look into them and get back if I have more questions.

4. Re: Based in Ljubljana for 6 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:24