Planning a 2 week trip for the last 2 weeks of October for my husband and I. The plan is to fly in Ljubljana, make our way around by public transport and hire car for day tripping, and flying out of Sarajevo. Wanted to get some feedback before making reservations. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.
- Does the following itinerary make sense? I am more interested in the history, scenery, architecture than the beach or night life.
- Want to put in 1 island if possible, but this late in the year, is it worth it? Is Kvar a good choice in terms of things being open, ferry availability, etc,.. Picked that one because it seems an easy and close access.
- I really want to work in Sarajevo rather than do too many islands, as I’ll probably never go back there again, so willing to skip Mostar if need be.
- Don’t mind the driving; I’m used to long commute.
- Any feedback on the north to south vs a south to north sequence?
1-4 Fly in Ljubljana, sleep 4 nights.
Rent car for side trips to a) Bled, b) Julian Alp loop with stop at Kobarid Museum and c) Skocjan Caves in morning, lunch in Piran, afternoon to Rovinik.
Can Bled and Julian loop be combined in a day? Or perhaps sleep en route somewhere? Once you see the Lake Bled and the town, not sure I want to just hang out there that’s why I thought it could be done in the day loop but everyone seems to say it’s worth going for a day just to the Lake. At this time of the year, not sure.
5- Train to Zagreb. Sleep in Zagreb.
6- Explore more Zagreb in morning. Bus to Plitvice at the end the day. Sleep near Park.
7 - Explore Plitvice Park in the morning. Catch bus later in the afternoon to Split. Sleep in Split.
8 - Explore Split. Sleep in Split.
9 - Catch ferry to Kvar. Sleep in Kvar.
10 - Return ferry to Split. Catch bus to Dubrovnik. Sleep in Dubrovnik.
11-12 Explore Dubrovnik. Hire Car for side trip to Bay of Kotor. Sleep in Dubrovnik.
13-14 To Sarajevo. Sleep in Sarajevo 2 nights.
What’s best? By bus? Flight? I read there is a train from Mostar? Should I take the bus from Dubrovnik to Mostar, spend a few hours in Mostar then catch train to Sarajevo? Or fly?
15 - Fly out.