We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-drive and language advice

Which Bled hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
100 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Self-drive and language advice

We will have a day in Slovenia from a cruise ship docked in Koper. My husband and I are fairly independent travelers and have driven extensively in France, Italy and Spain and are comfortable getting around as long as we can handle basic language. Can't stand the thought of being on a bus with 50 other people. Is it easy to drive to Lake Bled and our own boat excursion, etc.? I have read that most Slovenians are multi-lingual so can we expect to speak English in most places? Thanks!

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-drive and language advice

Hi, as long as you have enough time then it is no problem to drive to Bled.

The freeway goes to Ljubljana, then north to Bled. Take you a couple of hours. A lot of people speak very good english!

Cheers

Greg and Rona

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
694 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-drive and language advice

I drove all over Slovenia last summer. The drivers are generally more courteous than those you would have encountered in France, Italy, and Spain, and the roads are great. I did benefit from having a GPS.

In terms of language - no problems, most people speak English.

atlanta
Level Contributor
100 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-drive and language advice

Thank you for both of your replies. Very helpful. I read that Economy Car Hire was a good agency to use in the area. Any thoughts?

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-drive and language advice

They are good! We like the unlimited mileage and no excess!

But you can only hire a car from Portoroz and not Koper as far as i'm aware.

You may want to double check with them, perhaps they can drop the car at Koper for you. From memory i dont think any of the majors have offices in Koper. Perhaps a private day trip if a car isnt an option?

Cheers

Greg and Rona

Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-drive and language advice

We will arrive in Ljubljana airport Tuesday and go directly to Lake Bled, stay over (Hotel Triglav Bled), and return to Ljubljana city Wed afternoon. Is car rental the best way? Or is there easy public transportation for that trip. Will we need a car in the Lake Bled area?

--Joan

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self-drive and language advice

With rental car from the airport is the best. Your hotel is out of centre Bled with a nice view to the lake.

7. Re: Self-drive and language advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:15