We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

So I stayed in Lake Bled for two weeks In june and had the most amazing time and wedding there ever. I had very high expectations due to constantly looking at photos of it for the past few years and it exceeded every single one... the photos just dont do it justice.

We got to see a fair bit of Slovenia and it has become my favourite country by far. It really is such a beautiful country and everyone was so friendly and nice.

I have travelled a fair bit previously but mainly have been on city breaks and beach type holidays. I had always wanted to try a lakes and mountains holidays and me and my family found this to be our ideal sort of holiday so looking at booking next years holiday we want to do another lakes and mountains holiday.

The obvious thing to do would be to book for Lake Bled again, but although we definitely will be returning in a few years we really want to visit and experience different places but the problem is that I cant seem to find anywhere that is comparable to Lake Bled.... or Slovenia in general. We loved the fairytale lake that we could walk all the way around, with the castle on the cliffs and the island in the middle. We loved the summer toboganning and the excellent excursions available, and most of all Slovenias turqoise/emerald lakes with the snow topped mountains all around.

I have been looking at the lakes on offer in crystal and thomson but nothing is really standing out too much. I guess I am just looking for another countrys version of Lake Bled or a lake destination that has a similar feeling to it. I would really appreciate any suggestions

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
204 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

Hi,

Glad to hear that you liked Bled so much. I can suggest Lake Garda in Italy ( it's much bigger and crowded, but also more to do then in Bled), FaakerSee, Worther See in Austria or Bodensee in Germany/Switzerland (I did not like the Austrian part of the lake). I heard a lot of nice reviews of lake Ohrid in Macedonia, but I haven't been there yet (planning to do so this month).

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

For a long post my short answer! How is with Bohinsko Jezero! Soča Valley! Jezero Jasna in Kranjska Gora! And not far before Tarvisio/Italy Belopeška Jezera, WeissenSeen/Lagi di Fusine...

In Austria & Bavaria/Germay, you can find many, many lakes! Close to Bled Vrbsko Jezero/Wörthersee, Osojsko Jezero/Osiachersee, Miljsko Jezero/Millstaettersee, Klopinjsko Jezero/Klopeinersee, Baško Jezero/Fakersee. They are not more as 100km far from Bled. Why I mentioned these lake, cos they are on Slovene ethnical teritory

and for other begin with :

www.austria.info/uk/suche…

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

And not to forget Jezera / Lakes in Croatia!

Plitvice & Krka !

ihopecheetahsdonteatus.com/2008/…

Easy to fly thre with RyanAir to Zadar, I'll try to find one island with a lake too!

Edited: 06 July 2014, 19:35
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

Thank you both so much for your replies :)

Firstly to ajetamc,

I have looked at Lake Garda and it looks beautiful but I guess it just seems massive compared to Bled and as you say much more crowded. I like how with Bled you could walk round it all within a couple of hours but Lake Garda is definetly on my list of places to go :)

I went to Austria's Lake Worthersee on an excursion and found it to be very pretty but for me it didnt compare to Lake Bled unfortunately.

Lake Bodensee looks pretty amazing and I love its location. I will definitely have to do more research into that. Thanks

Also another good suggestion with, lake Ohrid in Macedonia but unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any flights from my part of the UK.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

Secondly to SiEagle,

'How is with Bohinsko Jezero! Soča Valley! Jezero Jasna in Kranjska Gora' - I visited all these places during my stay and loved them all. Especially rafting on the Soca river.

Tarvisio and Lagi di Fusine in Italy look absoutely beautiful, and nice and close to Bled for a day trip.

And thanks you have provided me with many lakes that look like what I am looking for.

Also thanks with the Croatia suggestion, I have always wanted to go to the the krka and plitvice lakes, they look absolutely amazing. I had booked a two week stay in Croatia a few years back but unfortunately had to cancel. I guess with Croatia its hard to know where to stay as its such a long country and I would want to see the lakes but also Dubrovnik as well. I previously booked a hotel in Tucepi but I think staying near the lakes would be better.

Thanks again :)

Another place I have been looking at is Lucerne in Switzerland but I do worry about the costs of such things as eating out in Switzerland.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

I think it doesn't exist. We have just come back from our second visit to Bled (the first was our honeymoon in 1989) and it is a truly beautiful place. We fell in love with Bled back then and vowed to return on our silver wedding anniversary, which is what we've just done. In the subsequent 25 years we have travelled about a fair bit but never found anywhere quite so beautiful.

It is a special place on this planet, and i'm doubting you find anywhere to match it with similar characteristics. If you do, please tell us, as I will be sure to go there as well! Good luck in your quest!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
225 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

I live in Lake Tahoe, Nevada. I'm visiting Lake Bled in September with a tiny bit of skepticism because I can't imagine a more beautiful lake than the one in my backyard...we shall see!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

Congratulations on your silver wedding anniversary badcat110...im glad to hear that you found it just as special on your anniversary trip. We are going back on our fifth anniversary although doubt I'll be able to wait long.

Wow I just googled Lake tahoe and it looks absolutely gorgeous. You are very lucky to live there and my son is older hopefully I can take a holiday there.

There really is just something very special about Lake bled. I think it would be impossible be disappointed. The Castle on the cliffs, the island, the pletna's, the excursions, you must do the emerald river adventure with 3glav,it was an amazing day.

It really is just a very magical place. And it's not just bled but Slovenia in total is amazing. It must be the most underrated country in the world.... But I'm kindve glad that it is as it so far hasn't attracted all the crowds. I have travelled quite a bit and have never such a cleaner, more well looked after country. The Slovenes are very welcoming and friendly people. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Dingli, Malta
Level Contributor
102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

I would suggest Bavaria. There is so much to see and enjoy: Munich, Oberammergau, Berchtesgaden, Neuschwanstein Castle, Chiemsee. It's a beauftiful area.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weird question, another countries Lake Bled?

I would advise Lago di Ledro. This is a hidden gem - 20 minutes from crowded (but yet breathtaking) Garda lake and you are in heaven. There are small villages around with perfect vacation rentals ( twice cheaper than on Garda) , we have been at Mezzolago. There are couple nice restaurants close by, bike rent (you can go around the lake, only 10 km), kayaks, boats, a lot of beautiful trails. There is no need to travel far... Close by there are Arco castle, Tenno lake with absolutely adorable the medieval village on the way ( Villa del Monte), Varona waterfalls are nice.....And if you want big super markets or night life - you just go to Riva-del-Garda city.