We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer at Bohinj and Pension Gasperin

London
8 posts
Save Topic
Summer at Bohinj and Pension Gasperin

Thinking of holidaying here during August on Lake Bohinj.

So, what is the hotel like, please, and we are 2 adults and a 15 year old boy - what would the must do things be, and are the trips (holiday is via crystal lakes, part of TUI) to Venice and Adriatic worth doinhg via the travel company, or not?

And, what is the driving like, and what kind of car will be best?

If anyone has any thoughts, then I look forward to hearing from you, Regards

Bled
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer at Bohinj and Pension Gasperin

Hi there,

I am a colleague/friend of the owners of Pension Gasperin and I can reassure you that you have chosen a great place to stay. Very friendly, comfortable and homely. One of the owners is English (Kellie) and she can provide you with lots of tips about what to see and do in the Bohinj area.

Regarding excursions, I would say that there are other more attractive ones you could do other than Venice and the Slovenian Adriatic. I would suggest Postojna Caves & Predjama Castle, Taste of Slovenia, Julian Alps and Ljubljana above the other two. Venice is a long, long journey (4.5 hrs each way by coach) and this year the Slovenian Adriatic trip is now combined with Lipica which does not give you much time on the coast. Your holiday rep will give you more info about excursions I expect when you arrive so you could decide then.

Hiring a car is an option but not necessary really. There is a regular bus service to Lake Bled and plenty to to around Bohinj itself. The driving in Slovenia is generally ok, the roads are good but like many other places you will see the occasional bit of crazy driving.

If you have not already booked, other tour operators from the UK that offer the Gasperin include Thomson (also part of TUI) and Holiday Options. Flights into Ljubljana from Manchester and Gatwick.

I hope this helps.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer at Bohinj and Pension Gasperin

We stayed here last year and it was a wonderful holiday. The Pension is everything you could want. Your 15 year old will be able to fill up on a great breakfast! We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony watching the countryside go by. We found lots to do. The cable car is a must and if you like walking you will be spoilt for choice. Swimming in the lake is great as is the boat tour.

Get a small car-easier to get about in. Driving was no problem but check if you need a pemit for the motorway.

We flew and booked flights / pension ourselves and so don't know about the travel company.

There was building work mentioned by someone in June so I would just check that if I were you.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer at Bohinj and Pension Gasperin

I had just return from Lake Bohinj mid June this year and I stayed near Lake Bohinj for two nights (a SOBE between Lake Bohinj and Lake Bled).

In Lake Bohinj, I suggest you do a hike to the waterfall. We had been to a few waterfalls in Slovenia and Croatia during this trip. Lake Bohinj's waterfall has the most water and it is very impressive to be so near to the thundering fall. (in chinese saying, Ten thousand horse gallaping).

In Lake Bled, you should climb up the castle for a complete view of the lake. Stroll around the lake and if you're game enough, swim in the lake. (locals are doing it, kids and adults. not neccessary to swim to the island though).

The driving at Slovenia is similar to southern Italy, not bad. As usual, just need to practise defensive driving.

I'll definitely recommend you to hire a car in Lake Bled at least for a day. In this day, you'll just drive up the famous Triglov. It's 50 hairpin turn will print a memorable image that you'll never be able to forget.

Find out more details before your driving trips thou.

For me, I always get the smallest car that I can get as it's the cheapest. No problem at all in climbing mountains and access to remotest part of Slovenia.

Enjoy your stay in Slovenia, it's a safe place and it's people is good.

:D

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer at Bohinj and Pension Gasperin

Chris361's suggestion to rent a car in Lake Bled and drive over the Trigalv Kranjska Gora summit and down into the Soca river valley is an excellent one!

You actually can finish your tour in late afternoon (5PM) in Most Na Soci where you can catch the mountain car train. You will drive onto a flatcar and stay in your vehicle while the locomotive pulls you back through the mountain tunnels and delivers you back to Lake Bohinj!

There is a nice rest area in Tomlin by the river to enjoy a refreshment before heading to Most Na Soci. Consider provisions for the car while you ride the rails!

In Kobarid, the WWI museum is fascinating and very insightful. It contains large topographical displays showing the Triglav mountain ranges and the defense lines established between the Italians and Austrians. Plus a lot more.

The Soca River Valley is beautiful with its clear, turquoise waters running there course. Your drive before the grade takes you near the worlds longest ski jump and after the grade, take a hike up to see the source waters of the Soca River!

In Bled, it is a very nice walk around the lake and an ascent up the "Grad" trial (north side of lake at beginning of walk) for the vistas is worth it. Also, man-powered boats are available to cross over to the central island in the lake. Then walk 3/4 around the lake (counter clockwise) where there are boats to board if you are compelled!

Enjoy!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer at Bohinj and Pension Gasperin

jimbobtom,

I am from a right hand drive country and I drove a manual car in my country.

As Manual car is more commonly available and cheaper to hire in Slovenia, I choose a manual and smallest car available.

However, if your 15 yr old boy is going with you, you properly will need to get a slightly bigger car for comfort.

You can drive between Venice, Adriatic and Lake Bohinj. Especially for Adriatic hill region, the public transport did not goes to many small towns.

Just get a good guide book and you'll be fine.

FYI, in Slovenia, instead of staying in Hotel, you should explore SOBE which is typically 50euro per night with or without breakfast.

Try it, you might like it.

I believe that the more money you pay, the more "international" the services will be.

:D enjoy

6. Re: Summer at Bohinj and Pension Gasperin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bohinjsko Jezero