We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trieste to Bohinj

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Trieste to Bohinj

We're travelling to Slovenia next spring staying in Bohinjska Bistrica near Lake Bohinj. We've previously travelled to Slovenia via Klagenfurt or Ljubljana. As Ryanair have dropped Klagenfurt, I was wondering about flying into Trieste instead as the fares tend to be cheaper than to Ljubljana. Can anyone advise on the journey from Trieste to Bohinj? I would be interested to know how long it might take to drive via Ljubljana. Also about the possibility of picking up the car train to Bohinjska Bistrica and as we're within walking distance of the station, would it be practical to get a train direct from Trieste?

Thanks

slovenia
Level Contributor
97 posts
1. Re: Trieste to Bohinj

I've almost wanted to suggest rather a direct flight to Ljubljana (isn't EasyJet with direct flights from Stansted to Ljubljana every day something similar than Ryanair in pricing?), because traveling from Trieste via Ljubljana and further to Bohinjska Bistrica would required a lot of time and two changes (in Ljubljana in Jesenice). I also found time table for Trieste Ljubljana trains most inconvinient (first departue shortly befre 3 AM and second -also the last - at past half 10 pm in the evening). But then I've done some further researches on internet page of Slovene Railways on the page with international time tables which connects you to a German railway(reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en…) and found an interesting option - traveling from Trieste via Nova Gorica and further on to Bohinjska Bistrica which is practically reverse route as that you had in mind, but much shorter. Try yourself - type Trieste Centrale as departure point and Bohinjska Bistrica for final destination. You you will get different possibilities and the whole schedules with stops and journey time. I just hope that the data are accurate - I have no experiences because I don't travel much with rail.

Good luck !

P.S. I'm just wondering - why did you mention car train?

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Trieste to Bohinj

Thanks Pikica. After looking at this more, I took your first suggestion - flights to Ljubljana! I mentioned the car train as I wondered whether it would be a quicker journey if we hire a car to take a direct route from Nova Gorica and use the car train to get under the mountains to Bohinjska Bistrica. That is as an alternative to going via Ljubljana and the motorway.

slovenia
Level Contributor
97 posts
3. Re: Trieste to Bohinj

That's great. Enjoy your stay!

England
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Trieste to Bohinj

You could also look at wizzair as they now fly into Ljubljana from Luton. They have offers on at present. I have just booked a return flight in March for £40 all in.

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Trieste to Bohinj

But not to forget! Ryanair start in winterseason2006/7 to fly Klagenfurt again!

Ukraine
1 post
6. Re: Trieste to Bohinj

Hi! Somebody, submit me foto of this hotel, plz!

Thanks

7. Re: Trieste to Bohinj

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Bohinjsko Jezero