We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in slovenia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
1 week in slovenia

we are planning a week's holiday in slovenia in september. we will be driving. we will likely start in ljuljabina and end in zagreb to continue for a few days in croatia.

any advice on places to see and stay and on road and driving conditions would be much appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in slovenia

You have to adapt to and prepare for the right side driving! First, ask around vignettes(road toll) in Slovenia and, perhaps Austria. In Croatia, the toll in cash at toll stations.

By car you can visit a lot. From the mountainous part, central part and coast with Karst. Maybe a spa, maybe Castle Otočec while driving in Zagreb.

You can make a plan.

Information on

http://www.slovenia.si/

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,822 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in slovenia

Where to stay: Every major town in the tourist areas, e.g. Bled, Bohinj, Soca Valley, has an excellent tourist information office that will recommend B&Bs.

The roads are good and the driving is easy.

Rental cars in Slovenia come with the vignette (mine did and apparently that is the norm).

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
64 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in slovenia

There's plenty to see in Slovenia. You can check our web site for some trip ideas, and then drive yourself:

http://www.slovenia-explorer.com

Most places have youth hostels and simple hotels, or you can find family farmsteads or pensions to stay in.

Enjoy your stay in Slovenia!

Gregor

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in slovenia

We are from the US and spent 2 weeks in Slovenia last month. Driving was easy and roads were in good condition. I thought the drivers were less aggressive than the drivers in some other countries. We stayed at several different properties- two family run Inns and one luxury hotel (Toplice in Bled) I loved each for different reasons. My advice is to not spend much time in cities, but enjoy the scenery and beauty. The people are warm, the place is safe and language was never a problem.

Reply to: 1 week in slovenia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bohinjsko Jezero