We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Ljublijana to Bovec in March/ April

wardy08
1 post
Driving from Ljublijana to Bovec in March/ April

I am wanting to hire a car in Ljublijana at the end of March and drive to Bovec. I am a bit concerned about the roads crossing the alps. I do not want to drive on roads which are slippery with ice and snow. Can you please advise whether they will be in this state at the end of March?

Thanks.

Vipava, Slovenia
Level Contributor
993 posts
1. Re: Driving from Ljublijana to Bovec in March/ April

Hi Wardy!

I will assume you are taking the Vrsic Pass but if you want to reach Bovec from the south then you can avoid the Alp crossing.

Take the freeway to Nova Gorica from Ljubljana and then head north along the beautiful Soca!

Cheers

SFY!

Dovje, Slovenia
Level Contributor
395 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Ljublijana to Bovec in March/ April

At the end of March there is huge chance that you won't be able to go via Vrsic pass. Due to snow, this year year the road was opened at 24 April!

However, you could go via Predil pass (Ljubljana -> Kranjska gora -> Tarvisio (Italy) -> Predil pass -> Bovec. This pass is open all year as this is the main route between Bovec and Kranjska gora, snow on the roads would only be on the days when it snows.

This road from Ljubljana is around 135km long (around 73km on highways). If you go via Nova gorica, its around 175km (around 100km on highways)... I would also say that shorter option via Predil pass is very scenic (at least when you get off the highway)

3. Re: Driving from Ljublijana to Bovec in March/ April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2010, 05:16