We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking soca valley

Sydney,Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking soca valley

Hi,

My husband and I have one week in Slovenia in the first week of November and would like to hike around the soca river/valley. My ideal trip is four days of around four hours guided hiking with a private guide each day, sleeping in a house/lodge/pension/hotel each night. I don't want to carry a big pack, so need our luggage either to be transported, or to return to the same base each night. I am having trouble putting this trip together. Any suggestions of a tour guide/company?. Is bovec the best place to stay? Which walks are best? Is this a feasible plan for November or do we need to plan to be snowshoeing?

Thanks,

Jessica

6 replies to this topic
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking soca valley

Hi Jessica,

It,s not a problem to find a guide but what could be a problem is the weather. In November you take your chances. I don't think you will be snow shoeing but you may be restricted as to how high the walks will be.

Unfortunately at that time of the year the mountain huts have closed, and although the two big hotels in Bovec are closed too, there are still a few smaller places open. Again luggage transportation is also not a problem as there are several companies around here that will do it for you. I think Bovec is your best bet as other places will be closed for the season.

Mountain guides are quite expensive but I would say you are better with one than doing it yourselves at that time of year.

I would suggest you start at the source of the river Soca in the Trenta valley and then make your way down slowly,.

It may be possible to stay at a different place each night but i would need to ask around to see who is still open., otherwise it would be a case of transport to the start and back to base in the evening. Again you could aim to walk the part of the soca from it's source in trenta to Most na soci . (Doable in 4 days).

If you would like me to see who is staying open in November let me know.

Jo

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking soca valley

Hi

You have already been given some good advice but have you actually booked your trip yet because November really isn't the best time to be making such a trip and you would see much more and enjoy the Soca Valley area so much more if you came in the time from May to September, when more things are open, when the weather is better. It's a beautiful area but out of season, as November is, it really is dead because the summer season is over and the skiing season hasn't yet started.

It's impossible to say whether there will be snow in November or not. Last year we had record snowfall but who knows what this year will bring.

Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking soca valley

Oh sorry, I just read your message again and it sounds like you already have your trip booked. However, if you don't already have accommodation booked, you could maybe consider staying in a different part of Slovenia. You could always then visit the Soca Valley for a day or two if the weather is ok.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking soca valley

Hi Jessica,

We had a similar problem last year.

We went hiking in Kranjska Gora in April and had problems finding a good company that operated out of the main season. We found The Travel Puzzle which is which is a UK company that gave us loads of advice and seems to know most of Slovenia. I saw that they're advertising the Soca valley so it's worth a shot.

Just google them and you'll find their latest offers and contact details.

John

Sydney,Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking soca valley

Thanks all for the advice

Sydney,Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking soca valley